Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic Lumix GX7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Panasonic Lumix GX7 Reply with quote

It make me happy that part of the introduction video is taken in Hong Kong!

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gx7/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very NEX6ish to me, but with a some more advanced features:
With integrated IBIS, integrated EVF with best resolution so far that is articulating, I personally love that and wouldn't buy a mirrorless with a non moveable EVF, they even managed to do that without having to occupy additional space, and then two wheels and simple, clean layout with a good number of buttons.
This camera looks the most advanced or should I say matured mirrorless camera released so far to me!
Just about what I am waiting for..but with a FF sensor - if I was using AF lenses most likely I'd be using Oly or Pana already, but for my legacy glass I am waiting for a similar specced FF mirrorless

they chose locations very wisely, interesting scenes from Hong Kong, for the Japanese it must be Kyoto and a Geisha, coincidentally I believe that I once took a shot of the very same Geisha they hired for the video on the street down the Gion district in Kyoto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DROOOOL!

That cam makes me think about investing in a µ4/3 system, really!
OK, which cams and lenses can I sell in order to pay for it?...

Last edited by LucisPictor on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very complete camera, and she is further proof: System m4/3 is not a minor system, is a different system, which has its own advantages (many) and cons (few). I do not know what to do, perhaps should I wait for an impending FF E-mount... mmm...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like everything i wanted in m4/3...but then again i thought that about the oly omd only to be very disappointed. guess its wait and see, fingers crossed.
tony

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of this camera, it looks like the lovechild of a NEX-6/Fuji X-E1 mating. Smile

Just one thing puts me off it - M4/3, and as I shoot mostly with wides, it just doesn't suit me. If it was APS-C, I'd be very interested.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
..."I shoot mostly with wides, it just doesn't suit me"...

Unfortunately, 24x36 wide manual focus lenses lose all charm when mounted on a m4/3 and an important part in APS. But the Pana 7-14 is great. There is not "genuine" manual focus, but it is very good and you can use it as you want Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come back to the construction of the EVF. I think it is the first still camera that has a similar, tilt and extendable EVF as has been the standard for videocams. I have been expecting and waiting for this and believe that it won't take long before it will become standard, personally I may prefer it to be on top of the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice evf. Focus peaking. Sold! Will most likely add a speedbooster to give my nikons a little extra oomph Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="anktonio"
Unfortunately, 24x36 wide manual focus lenses lose all charm when mounted on a m4/3 and an important part in APS. But the Pana 7-14 is great. There is not "genuine" manual focus, but it is very good and you can use it as you want Smile[/quote]

The Pana 7/14 is such a nice lens that someone could buy a Pana camera just to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so anybody using this baby? interested in user opinions!
tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
The Pana 7/14 is such a nice lens that someone could buy a Pana camera just to use it.

Sure!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
so anybody using this baby? interested in user opinions!
tony

I sold my E-PL5 and got one. I use it primarily for street and the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 is hardly off it.

I was curious about it's usefulness with legacy glass though so I got 3 adapters, Konica, OM and C-mount. I found the E-PL5 too small and fiddly with legacy glass. It was tricky getting a good hold and I often pressed buttons accidentally. I had the VF-4 but I still found it hard work. The GX7 has a much better grip and I prefer the button layout. Operating it manually is pretty intuitive. The focus peaking is useful for longer lenses when magnified view bounces around too much.

Truth is though I don't much care for the crop factor when using my legacy glass. Usefull for the tele end obviously but I tend to favour wide-angle and normal focal lengths so I'd sooner use my legacy glass on APS-C or FF.

Just bought the Fuji X-A1 for this very reason. An offer has just expired where you could get it with the 16-50mm zoom and get an XF 27mm pancake for free. The zoom is better than your average kit lens and sells 2nd hand for over £100. The XF 27mm is worth £250 plus. The package cost £389 so you could in theory get the body for about £50 if you sold the lenses, after taking off Ebay fees etc. That is a stormin' deal IMO. It's set to replace my Sony 5N. So far I've got 3 adapters; Konica, Pentax and M42. No EVF, built-in or optional but it does have focus peaking and a nice tilting screen. One very nice feature is live preview of your shot when you half press the shutter.

Anyway, back on subject. I'd fully endorse using the GX7 for legacy glass if the crop factor works in 'your' favour. A bigger body would probably be preferable for the biggest lenses but otherwise it is a very capable shooter. The white balance on this model is a match for Olympus models. Silent AF and electronic shutter is great and should prolong its life. IBIS is a nice bonus too.