Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A550 - best MF camera, ever??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Sony A550 - best MF camera, ever?? Reply with quote

I just received my Sony a550. I have upgraded from an a350 because I wanted some of the features and, Wow!, am I happy!
I have always had to rely on focus confirm to ensure I get pretty good focus - escpecially for upclose work with my SMC taks but it was always a bit hit and miss (I dont blame the camera - just my tired eyes). Eventually I would get "good" focus, but it might take 5 or 6 shots. Also I was never thrilled with a350 low light performance.
Enter the a550...
Here is my first ever shot using Manual Focus live view - this mode presents 14X live view using easy to access buttons. Focus was spot on.

Here is my second - some apples...

of course, you have to have the pet shot...

All were take in low light at (ISO 400 - I think).
This is gonna be a busy weekend!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great stuff! This model looked good for MFers on the spec sheet, and it's good to see that performance stands up to the specs!

Just to clarify, could you not manual focus using liveview on the a350?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Wow, great stuff! This model looked good for MFers on the spec sheet, and it's good to see that performance stands up to the specs!

The A350 was fine for MF focus in live view. AF confirm on the a350 was good, but nowhere as good as the a550 with the 14X MF live view mode.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lens-o-matic wrote:
Shrek wrote:

The A350 was fine for MF focus in live view. AF confirm on the a350 was good, but nowhere as good as the a550 with the 14X MF live view mode.

I used to have an A350. The live view is good, but it didn't have a (useful) magnification. Apart from that and the high iso performance, it was a very good camera. I switched because of difficulties to adapt mf lenses to the Sony cameras.

/Erik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
I used to have an A350. The live view is good, but it didn't have a (useful) magnification. Apart from that and the high iso performance, it was a very good camera. I switched because of difficulties to adapt mf lenses to the Sony cameras.

/Erik

Recently I have found lots of adapters are available. I currently have M42, Pentax, Minolta MD. I plan on buying a contax and a Nikon adapter.
With this 14X zoom mode, I dont need to worry about AF Confirm, so that will make the adapters a lot cheaper!
I will publish photos using the different adapters "Real Soon Now".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lens-o-matic wrote:

Recently I have found lots of adapters are available. I currently have M42, Pentax, Minolta MD. I plan on buying a contax and a Nikon adapter.

During my Sony days, I never managed to get a Nikon adapter, it was always out of stock. Also, the optical element in the adapters for MD, Pentax K and (as far as I know) Nikon might degrade the optical quality.

lens-o-matic wrote:
With this 14X zoom mode, I dont need to worry about AF Confirm, so that will make the adapters a lot cheaper!

Without chipped adapters you can only use M mode. You can't use A mode on the newer Sony cameras, unless the adapter is chipped. (Unless Sony has made a big change in their strategy.)

That being said, live view with magnification is indeed very good for manual focusing.

Oh, and if you haven't already, try to get a "beercan" (Minolta 70-210/4). Great lens, great colours, cult following.

/Erik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention this: one of my favourite adapters for Sony was the tilt adapter for Pentacon 6-mount lenses. I got some really good lenses (including Sonnar 180/2.Cool, plus the tilt ability.

There are also regular Sony-Pentacon 6 adapters available. However, I'm not certain that you can find such adapter with a chip. Perhaps you'll have to attach a chip yourself (or stay in M mode).

/Erik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony A550 - best MF camera, ever?? Reply with quote

Nope...The Sigma SD10 and SD14 are far more likely to hold that mantle...I only use manual focus lenses on them and very rarely get an OOF shot...And thats without focus confirmation. Wink