Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor fisheye adapter 0.15x
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Soligor fisheye adapter 0.15x Reply with quote

I have found many times on ebay the Soligor fisheye adapter. Some going for insanely high prices and other ones more reasonable priced, but how good (or bad) those are?
Does anyone have experience with these ones? It seems an adapter that you set at the end of either 49mm or 52 mm filter thread
Are there any other of fisheye adapters worth the time and money?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor fisheye adapter 0.15x Reply with quote

diegoc2000 wrote:
I have found many times on ebay the Soligor fisheye adapter. Some going for insanely high prices and other ones more reasonable priced, but how good (or bad) those are?
Does anyone have experience with these ones? It seems an adapter that you set at the end of either 49mm or 52 mm filter thread

Worth paying about $30-45 to play with and re-sell for about the same. Lots (I mean, LOTS!) of CA, nothing left of sharpness in the corners. Center can be acceptable for Web pics though. Definitely does not produce printable quality images.

Better alternatives are Zenitar 16/2.8 and... that's about it. For under $200, I don't know of any other fisheye with good IQ.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is the same as the Kenko I have. Does it look like this?

If so, this is what you can expect (This shot was with a 55mm primary lens on a 1.6x DSLR):

Note pretty severe fringing on the right, even at this size.

I definitely would not pay any more than $30-45 like aoleg said. I happened upon mine for $5. A quick search on eBay brings up one of these listed BIN at $200. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor fisheye adapter 0.15x Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
diegoc2000 wrote:

Worth paying about $30-45 to play with and re-sell for about the same. Lots (I mean, LOTS!) of CA, nothing left of sharpness in the corners. Center can be acceptable for Web pics though. Definitely does not produce printable quality images.

Better alternatives are Zenitar 16/2.8 and... that's about it. For under $200, I don't know of any other fisheye with good IQ.

While I agree that there is lots (yes, LOTS!) of CA, shooting in raw helps a lot - the CA can mostly be fixed.

Center sharpness in my copy is not only acceptable, but very good, though sharpness goes down lots when approaching the corners... er....edges of the circle. Still, images are printable (though, I would't try A4 size), but it is more a lens for web images.

Also a lot depends on the lens one attaches the adapter into - one really should use primes that are rock solid wide open.

I think it is a nice toy if one is just interested in trying out different fisheye effects. It is not suitable for a professional use, that is for sure, but there is nothing wrong with it as long as one doesn't expect it to be more than the kludge it is. Easily worth the 30-40 euros it cost, I think. I think I payed 50, which is a bit much, but it was a cheap way to learn which kind of fish lens, if any, I might like, and as I will take at most a couple of 180-degree images and zero other kind images a year, none of which will be printed, I'm perfectly happy with the adapter myself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:

Note pretty severe fringing on the right, even at this size.

I thought that the picture is very nice - honestly, who cares about a little fringing near the edge in an image like this? I didn't pay any attention as the fantastic bolt of energy captured my mind. As long as one does not aim to publish the images, or does not aim for pro quality, this adapter is perfectly fine tool - after all, without it, you would not have been able to capture this great image!

Also, since this is lateral CA, it can be mostly eliminated in post processing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my path to the Peleng 8mm with that adapter. The results were well worth the money and I still use it occasionally as the Peleng looses the circle look on my 1.6x crop cameras. As was said, the circular images are neat!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh first fisheye I ever bought many, Many, MANY years ago - and the leasdt I would recommend to anyone. Not even good as a paperweight (the Zeiss S-Planar 1.6/50mm Microlitho lens is much better for that purpose...LOL)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Teh first fisheye I ever bought many, Many, MANY years ago - and the leasdt I would recommend to anyone. Not even good as a paperweight (the Zeiss S-Planar 1.6/50mm Microlitho lens is much better for that purpose...LOL)

If this fisheye lens was good enough for Stanley Kubrick, it is good enough for me Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubrick didn't shoot with this lens, just at it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
Kubrick didn't shoot with this lens, just at it.

I know Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Thanks Everyone Reply with quote

Thank You everyone for your answers, then the Peleng is too expensive, how that one compares against Sigma, Pentax or Tokina?