Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what do you look for in a used DSLR??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: what do you look for in a used DSLR?? Reply with quote

I don't know much about them but I have read how you use your MF lenses on them especially the Canon 5D and Pentax K10.
Are all DSLR bodies able to use MF lenses?
Why does everyone ask how many actuations/images have these cameras taken.
Could you shed some light for a new user interested in what to look out for when thinking of trying this combination of old/new technology.Especially when buying a 2nd hand DSLR body to try this out on.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Why does everyone ask how many actuations/images have these cameras taken

shutter have a life of about 100000 actuations
some can break after 10000 other work for 500000 but the less should be the better
actually dslr are high tech and many electronic small things can break

Quote:

all can use M42 and own brand lenses
Canon can also use Contax and Leica lenses
Olympus is the more compatible and can use about everything but have a sensor X2 making difficult for wide (35mm=70mm)
if you already have lenses, you could find a compatible dslr
if you don't have lenses, you can find great lenses for every camera

budget limit choice, full frame like 5D are still expensive
for manual use, try to find the brightest viewfinder that allow interchangeable screen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,I have a lot of M42,K mount.So are you saying you do not need a adapter for M42 lens?
Yes I will have to research which DSLR to look at.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Thanks,I have a lot of M42,K mount.So are you saying you do not need a adapter for M42 lens?
Yes I will have to research which DSLR to look at.

Pentax will mount the K lenses without an adapter and the m42 with an adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of adapters,the ones that I use for my SLR cameras or a different adapter?
Sorry for my ignorance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A general guide:

1. Canon EOS can mount M42, K, Olympus, Nikon, Leica and Contax/Yashica
2. Nikon can mount Nikon (but only D200 and above will meter)
3. Pentax can mount M42, K and some others (Nikon?)
4. Sony can mount M42
5. Olympus / Panasonic can mount all the above and more

Your old adapters will work on new DSLRs if they have the same mount e.g. a k mount to M42 lenses mount will work the same on a film SLR as a DSLR. Same for Canon EOS and Sony/Minolta AF.

Nikon can only reach infinity with M42 lenses if an adapter with corrective glass is used.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reason for not choosing Nikon; the choice in other compatible mounts is very limited.

If I had to start all over again, I would look at Pentax very seriously. But I am happy with my Canon cameras, that I also bought second hand, btw.

My Canons were both bought from people I already knew. Personally I wouldn't dare to buy a dslr from an unknown Ebay seller.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: what do you look for in a used DSLR?? Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
I don't know much about them but I have read how you use your MF lenses on them especially the Canon 5D and Pentax K10.
Why does everyone ask how many actuations/images have these cameras taken.
Could you shed some light for a new user interested in what to look out for when thinking of trying this combination of old/new technology.Especially when buying a 2nd hand DSLR body to try this out on.
Thanks

I highly recommend you to buy a camera with an image stabilizer, if you use tele lenses at all. I still remember what it was to shoot with 500/8 mirror lens without one, and I don't ever want to do that again.

And make sure the camera you buy has a good viewfinder.

And don't buy a Nikon - they don't work well with m42-lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice thread... 'caus i decided today to move the half part of me to the digital world and own a used 5D.

so what do you recommend to look for especially? what are probably the hidden problems in buying a used dslr?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By good view finder I assume you mean the eye piece view not the LCD screen at the back of the camera?(I have not seriously looked at a DSLR body close up so I am guessing here)Great answers guys.It's a big selection out there but if I can narrow it down and get the right camera first off it would be worth it.Having children limits your budget as they come first...but planning and saving that I can do! Wink
What is the best Pentax DSLR body to get or that does not matter.It makes sense to me if I have more pentax lens mounts I should go for a pentax body first up,I do have the K mount to M42 screw mount adapter came with a lens so was very pleased about that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all DSLRs have the liveview feature (allowing you to focus with the camera back LCD screen).

We need good or bright viewfinder since with MF lenses, we are using our eyes to focus. With a small viewfinder, less light is coming in so it is relatively moreSome of the viewfinders are not so easy to MF focus. difficult to focus. There is why some time, some of the members opt for an adpater with focus confirmation chip on it. Some will argue the focusing might still not be spot on but it should be good within certain tolerance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm,could someone post a link or photo of these Viewfinder adapters.thanks for being willing to teach a new member.So in the specs of a DSLR you would take note of
1)image stabilization
2)view finder/liveview
3)Full or half frame (not sure on this one)

Is there an adapter from Olympus to m42 and Olympus to K mount??I use a point and shoot Olympus so I am familiar with some of their quirks.....narrowing it down to Pentax,Olympus and Canon Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking at Pentax the K20D should do you nicely unless you want the recently released K7 and has anti shake/ image stabilisation that works quite well. The live view screen is not too big and I only ever use it as an exposure check preferring the view finder for focussing. There is focus confirm built in which shows as a little hexagon at the bottom of the view finder. Even with my duff eyes once setting the diopter to suit my eyes I'm getting passable results.
If the currenter adapter you are using has a flange you might want to grab one of the M42 to Pentax mount adapters from HK300 which have an inner lip towork with lenses that have no manual to aut switch.
Don't think there are Olympus to Pentax adapters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this help:

1)stabilization (on body - Pentax, Olympus; on lens - Canon)
2)liveview (Pentax, Olympus, Canon) - (only newer models)
3)cropped factor (Pentax - 1.5x ; Olympus - 2x; Canon - 1.6x (most models), 1.3x (e.g. 1D series), Full frame i.e. x1 (e.g. 5D series, 1Ds series).
A 50mm lens will have a field of view (FOV) of 75mm lens in Pentax DSLR (i.e. 1.5x croppped). The 50mm remains 50mm in fullframe DSLR. By the way, all film camera are also full frame.

Not too sure about your other question. Are you interested in lens mount adapter, viewfinder screens, or viewfinder adapter (not sure what this is. Maybe angle finder)?

Last edited by my_photography on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live view is a great help at times, but not all live views were created equal. Some have magnification: you magnify part of the image, which makes it much easier to focus manually. Some don't have magnification, or use a magnification that isn't very useful.

Also, there is a difference between regular Olympus & Panasonic 4/3 bodies, and the newer µ4/3 (also from Olympus and Panasonic). The µ4/3 can mount more lenses, including Canon FD.

I have a Canon 5D and a Panasonic G1 (µ4/3), and use the G1 much more.

/Erik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
adpater with focus confirmation chip on it

This is what I meant in regards to viewfinder,I am not sure how that works or what it may look like.
Most of my lens (M42) have the Auto to manual switch but I know one lens has the pin missing.
Yes the Pentax line is looking better than the others less complications.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Quote:
adpater with focus confirmation chip on it

This is what I meant in regards to viewfinder,I am not sure how that works or what it may look like.
Most of my lens (M42) have the Auto to manual switch but I know one lens has the pin missing.
Yes the Pentax line is looking better than the others less complications.

Strange. I am unable to find one with Pentax adaptor with chip on ebay. Here is a Canon M42 adapter with confirmation chip

(You can check with our member Alex (HK300) about the variuos adapters.)

Basically, with the confirmation chip, once you have MF focus within a certain acceptable range, the camera will let you know you are in focus. If I understand correctly, some system have this feature in built in the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that makes sense now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax got the shake reduction and focusconfirmation builtin. No need for funky chips. The sony adapter needs a chip for shakereduction and for focus confirm to work properly. The canon needs chip for focus confirmation.

The Pentax K10D should be cheap by now. No liveview but a good camera. I saw one for sale for 290€ the other day and it had only 6900 shutter actuations.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I saw 2 on ebay one was sold BIN $599,the other $475 sold.Looks like the way to go.
thanks to all for their advice. Smile