Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar f:5/500mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Takumar f:5/500mm Reply with quote

Hi,

for the friends of longer and heavier lenses here a sample

Takumar f:5/500mm manufactured between 1962 and 1965

and 2 shots into the botany this morning

f:5.6 tripod

f:11, cropped, tripod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really not bad! I would have expected some CA but in these samples I don't seen any. Can you say something about the handling of the lens? Is it a big PITA or easy to focus?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

on the second pic at the right side (lower flower) you will see some CA but not very much. I was also surprised about this. That was the reason to shot this flowers to find CA.

This lens is very heavy and you can use it only with tripod, maybe with monopod too. I didn´t try it so far. DOF here is very small. Distance to the flower from cam about 10 Meters and DOF wide open only 2-3 cm. You can see it at the flower itself.

Conclusion:

- for a Tak collector (like me) a must Wink
- nice to have particularly in near unsed condition
- you can use it if you like with surprinsing results
- only for static motifs with tripod/monopod and very small DOF wide open
- every day use - no !

Have a nice weekend Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had the M37 version in hands (almost new, with case and M42 adapter, serviced and warranted for 6 months, I could buy it for 365€), I confirm it is very big and impressive Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Tak 500/4.5 and just can't get the hang of it. CA is the biggest problem. I'll have to work on it some more as your photos show what the lens is capable of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this and sharing that these monsters can be used!
Can you get a photo of it on the tripod,camera attached?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, nice lens...
Are you using a full frame camera ?
Is it possible that you try to shoot the moon ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
I already had the M37 version in hands (almost new, with case and M42 adapter, serviced and warranted for 6 months, I could buy it for 365€), I confirm it is very big and impressive Very Happy

You guys with the m37 to m42 adapter in hands are killing me! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have it, but the lens was the Asahi Kogaku, so M37, and the rear cap was the classic Takumar marked cap, like all M42, and has a metal part screwed in, I guess it was the original M37 adapter (but I didn't know it ATM)