Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Epson R-D1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Epson R-D1 Reply with quote

Can someone recommend me buying one of these secondhand? Or is it becoming a little outdated and unsupported?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Epson R-D1 Reply with quote

Neare wrote:
Can someone recommend me buying one of these secondhand? Or is it becoming a little outdated and unsupported?

Andy (F16Sunshine) have it and love it! Even if he has many valuable other equipment like Canon 5D with finest lenses and Pentax 6x7 ... if he not answer here due lot of posts ask in pm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay seems to be particularly risky where R-D1's are concerned - there is at least one professional scammer around who has specialized on the R-D1.

But it is not entirely uncommon in the classifieds over at the Rangefinderforum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Camera. You will love it.

Here is one in Wellington. I have no connection to this guy. Nice price though so, worth a look.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost-classifieds/showproduct.php/product/17721/cat/3/limit/recent/date/1247405095

Epson still does repairs to these cameras.
Also you can have Steves camera in LA work on it.
My understanding with Epson is this. Rather than repair your camera. They charge a $500 flat fee to exchange your broken camera for a refurbished one.
So if you have a minor issue send it to Steve. Major send it to Epson.
I use mine heavily and it goes everywhere with me. Have not had a problem. Hopefully this statement does not jinx me. Laughing
Cheers
~A

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear that you still like it Andy (aside from your M8 )!! I would
also recommend to buy it from a known source like rangefinder.com!

P.S.: japanese ebay-seller matsuiyastore has some from time to time.
I bought quite a bit from him and cannot more than highly recommend
him (not cheap though)

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my next question would be... should I get the R-D1 or fork out a bit more and go for the M8? (M9 price tag out of the question.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless what you do, you can save money if you hold off for a few weeks, until the M9 becomes generally available and the market gets hit by R-D1 and M8 sold to generate cash for the M9.

Sevo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neare wrote:
So my next question would be... should I get the R-D1 or fork out a bit more and go for the M8? (M9 price tag out of the question.)

You would really need to try both cameras before making that decision.
I'm using both but in different ways.

The RD1 is a very intuitive camera. All shooting controls are accessible on the camera without entering a menu or looking at the LCD.
There is a standard shutter speed dial and ISO control embedded.
The exposure compensation is also on the shutter speed dial.
Changing WB or File size/type also analog.
This camera is very quiet and so quite stealthy.
It's become my daily shooter and is always along. The high ISO B+W camera produced Jpgs are very film-ish and I shoot in this mode often.

The M8 is much less intuitive. The only control on the camera is shutter speeds.
When working in AE mode you must enter into a menu to control exposure compensation (I hate this), ISO, everything! (Yes very distracting).
The camera has a loud shutter that to me sounds like an electric office stapler.
The M8.2 has an updated shutter that sounds like an electric office stapler with a napkin over it.
Enough complaints Wink The Raw Files (DNG) that come from the M8 are beautiful!
If you use a nice glass and proper IR/UV cut filter nothing digital compares IMHO.
The rangefinder EBL on the M8 is much longer than the RD1. Focusing a f1.2/50 is a piece of cake. Not bad with the RD1 either but you must be more careful especially up close.
Lenses longer than 50mm are definetly the territory of the M8.
I've started to work the M8 into Portrait work I do for hire.
The focus accuaracy combined with top glass is delivering more and better keepers than my Canon or film cameras.
You can not beat the focus accuracy of an M.
It is just not as much fun for street shoots and personal projects as the RD1.

Sevo is probably right about the prices dropping. I don't think it will last. There are more folks waiting to buy a cheap used M8 or RD1 than there are lining up for the $7000 M9.
Prices will become stable quickly as the used DRF supply is balanced out. The difference in price between the two cameras is likely to stay around $1000 for the lifespan of the RD1.

Cheers
~A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used the Epson so can't compare it to the M8 which I do have, but I think F16sunshine might be a teensy-weensy bit over hard on the M8 in just two respects.

The shutter is only noisy when you compare it to a film Leica (remember, I've never used the Epson). It's a whole lot quieter than my Canon F1 and about the same as my Bessa R - you notice it yourself when you're shooting but the noise doesn't seem to carry. But, it IS less quiet than my M2.

F16's got a point about over-riding the auto exposure, but it's not worried me because I generally use the "manual" exposure system where you pre-set EITHER shutter speed or aperture and then alter the other until you get the "correct" indicator in the finder. There's indication of +/- exposure values, so correcting is absolutely easy.

The WORST thing about the M8 (and M8.2) is the silly button arrangment on the rear which accesses the menu/set/play/delete operations - it is just too easy to catch the "set" button accidentally and then shift a value you didn't want to. I've "cured" that by slightly modifyng my unbelievably expensive Luigi 1/2 case (sorry Luigi fans - it's nice , but way too costly).

When it comes to the Leica/Voigtlander film models, I like the Bessa but still much prefer the M2.

Just personal observations, I guess we all have our own preferences.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes dear friends you make me dream..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/2627112053_422519093a_b.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

If we are lucky, our friends do that for us Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
kuuan wrote:

If we are lucky, our friends do that for us Smile

I am VERY lucky Laughing