Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

super takumar 55 f1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: super takumar 55 f1.2 Reply with quote

Hi

I have won, and am waiting for a Super Takumar 55mm f1.2 but i can't find any info on the net about it. Anyone have any info/image examples and is it a good lens? I bought it because (again) it was cheap and it's a f1.2.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to break the bad news. Likely it is the 55/2 -- there is no Super-Tak 55/1.2. I have seen more than a few listed that way, typically by non-photo sellers. In fact I thought your post about it in another thread here was the same simple typo. 1:2 is written on the lens; 1.2 is a typo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 55/2 is still a nice lens though Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGGER!! I already have a 55mm f1.8, hey ho, still another to add to the collection Very Happy It was only £20 so i'm not complaining and will have to be more careful next time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Super Takumar 55mm f/1.2 for 20£ would be the biggest bargain I hever seen.

( if it exists Smile )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:

( if it exists Smile )
That's what i was hoping!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:

( if it exists Smile )

LOL! Very Happy even 1/10 of one...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note, here's probably why Pentax never made an f1.2 Tak: The rear element would have to be cut to accommodate the M42 stop-down pin.

(Note: Pentax did make an f1.2 in PK mount)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: super takumar 55 f1.2 Reply with quote

andyw wrote:
Hi

I have won, and am waiting for a Super Takumar 55mm f1.2 but i can't find any info on the net about it. Anyone have any info/image examples and is it a good lens? I bought it because (again) it was cheap and it's a f1.2.

Dreaming only, no 1,2 lens available cheaply and no super Takumar 1.2 that is 55mm f2 still nice lens and you get on right price don't worry.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the article about the intro of the K mount, specific mention was made about M42 being too narrow to support a 50/1.2 - but the K fixed that. Pentax immediately produced a 1.2 Wink for the K mount.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
On that note, here's probably why Pentax never made an f1.2 Tak: The rear element would have to be cut to accommodate the M42 stop-down pin.

The problem is mainly not the stop-down pin bit the size of the mount (42mm) which is too narrow to accomodate the large glass elements needed by a 1.2 lens

With the 42mm size, the vignetting is usually too high (light would be stopped by the mount)

ONLY tomioka manufactured a 1.2 lens sold mainly under Yashica and chinon brand (who knows what is the vignetting of this lens ?)

http://flor27.free.fr/forums/Yashinon_Tomioka_55mm_f1.2/content/_MG_9611_large.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/55-1-2-lenses-tomioka-yashica-porst-revuenon-t20104.html

ALL other 1.2 lenses were manufactured for bayonet lens : om , k , fd , F...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Mike Deep wrote:

The problem is mainly not the stop-down pin bit the size of the mount (42mm) which is too narrow to accomodate the large glass elements needed by a 1.2 lens

With the 42mm size, the vignetting is usually too high (light would be stopped by the mount)

ONLY tomioka manufactured a 1.2 lens sold mainly under Yashica and chinon brand (who knows what is the vignetting of this lens ?)

http://flor27.free.fr/forums/Yashinon_Tomioka_55mm_f1.2/content/_MG_9611_large.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/55-1-2-lenses-tomioka-yashica-porst-revuenon-t20104.html

ALL other 1.2 lenses were manufactured for bayonet lens : om , k , fd , F...

I tend to have a different opinion to the reason why there are no (or few) 50/1.2 (or faster!) on m42:

There are no limiting physical reasons why there could be no 50/1.0 for example. However, there are three practical reasons:

1. Either the image quality would suffer due to more extreme light paths.

2. Or the design would have to be very large to allow for the corrections.

3. Cost of the lens would have been very high (I mean very very high) and the markets very small. Nowdays designing such a lens for m42 would be quite a bit cheaper - too bad not too many manufacturers make lenses for this beautiful mount any more Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ≤f/1.3 range-finder lenses - because of different design, their rear lens elements are smaller and allows troublefree mounting. Zunow 50/1.1, Zunow 50/1.3, Rekord-4 52/0.9, Canon 50/0.95...

Manufacturers did a lot of research for fast tripled-based lenses in pre-war times, but with the arrival of DSLR cameras, their research had to start from scratch, because triplet designs were useless for DSLR systems. I think that's the main reason for slow expansion of fast DSLR lenses compared to RFs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just the way of "advertising". In stead of f1:2 sometime people mention f1.2. I had that many times but by examining the pictures saw it were 1:2 lenses. Anyway the 1:2 is a nice lens too. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryMK wrote:
Probably just the way of "advertising". In stead of f1:2 sometime people mention f1.2. I had that many times but by examining the pictures saw it were 1:2 lenses. Anyway the 1:2 is a nice lens too. Good luck.

Yes, it's a very common mistake to think that the 1:2 notation means f/1.2 (1:1.2). Once I saw a lens on eBay where the other dot of the : had lost its white paint and the lens actually read 1.2 on the front. I informed the seller of this error, and they agreed that it was an f/2 and corrected the listing, but also mentioned that “I wish I'd known this when it was sold to me as an f/1.2”…

andyw wrote:
I already have a 55mm f1.8, hey ho, still another to add to the collection

It may actually be that the 55mm f/1.8 and f/2 are the same lens, but with the aperture of the f/2 version permanently limited. I also have both lenses, and when I look into the f/2 I can see an extra ring near the aperture blades that isn't present in the f/1.8, otherwise the lenses look identical.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It may actually be that the 55mm f/1.8 and f/2 are the same lens, but with the aperture of the f/2 version permanently limited. I also have both lenses, and when I look into the f/2 I can see an extra ring near the aperture blades that isn't present in the f/1.8, otherwise the lenses look identical.

this is correct. they are identical, other than Asahi Optical limiting the max aperture to 2 instead of 1.8.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this SMC Takumar 2/55 lens (Thanks to Attila). Is the extra ring removable? Where? From the front or from the back?