Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

To use protection filters or not ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: To use protection filters or not ? Reply with quote

Please let me know what you think about protection filters like UV. Should I use them always or just if really need it. They affect picture quality or not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: To use protection filters or not ? Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Please let me know what you think about protection filters like UV. Should I use them always or just if really need it. They affect picture quality or not.

I believe that every piece of glass are affecting the quality of the picture in some way.
If you want the effekt you should of couse use them. But when it comes to UV filters I dont think they have any effekt besides reducing scarpness.

On film cameras it is another matter.

I use UV filters when needed only for protecting use.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I shoot with really dirty, scratched old lenses, seem if front lens damaged only that is not impact the picture quality. This says to me should no problem to use all time UV filters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: To use protection filters or not ? Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Attila wrote:

I believe that every piece of glass are affecting the quality of the picture in some way.
If you want the effekt you should of couse use them. But when it comes to UV filters I dont think they have any effekt besides reducing scarpness.

On film cameras it is another matter.

I use UV filters when needed only for protecting use.

I completely agree. I have a few Sky or plain filters just for protection, but I mostly take them off with the lens cap when I take a picture.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To store them with protection filter make higher risk to get fungus if you have humid area.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use protection filters but never do any more, I remember reading "proof" that they degraded the image, I'm not so sure about that but I don't miss them so I haven't gone back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where possible I use a suitable hood rather than a protection filter although for some of the Canon 'L' zooms you do need to fit a filter to complete the water/dust proofing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use an additional glass in front of a lens, you (or better the additional glass-air-glass-system) will affect the picture quality, without any doubt. It will end in reduced sharpness or contrast (the latter is also true for your scratched lenses, Attila, but often only to such a small degree that you hardly notice it, only in direct comparison).

Nevertheless, I also constantly use UV-filters as a protection on lenses that were expensive and that still have an immaculate front lens.
It is much cheaper to replace a filter. Wink
I scratched a filter badly once and believe me, I was very happy that I had this filter!
With some of my lenses (the rather cheaper ones or some lenses that already have some "spots" or cleaning marks at the front element), I don't bother. With those I only use a filter in kind of "harsh" surroundings, at the sea (sandy beach, wind and sea water spray), for example.

What I try to use is a hood, if I have an appropriate one, that is...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good uv filter is not noticeable at all in normal conditions. Picture "quality" is subjective. If you can't tell the difference, then there's no difference.

But if you're shooting against a window and/or at night when there are just several spots of light and total darkness elsewhere and so on, you may see some "ghosting" because of reflections. In that situations remove the filter to shoot.