Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahi Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5 ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Asahi Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5 ?? Reply with quote

Have an interest in this lens for my wide angle option.Can any one share with me what IQ is like on this lens.I am especially interested in how well it does on FF and also how much distortion to expect as well as CA.Thanks in advance for your thoughts
-Jim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

did have the Tak years ago on a 350D cam and was not satisfied with the edge to edge ratio. The Tak 28mm was the first lens i did sell again 2 weeks after buying and testing. The performance was far behind my other Pentax Lenses. IMHO on a 5D this must be poorer than on a crop.

Maybe i had a bad copy of the lens, but i dont like this lens. Also the 35mm doesnt fit to my opinion how sharp a lens should be.
So i decided, to give away all my Taks, wider than 85mm. The only lenses i keept a long time was the 1.9/85 and the 2.8/105.

I would prefer Yashica DS-M Lenses in this range. Especially the 24mm DSM an 35mm DSM are great lenses. But they are rare and hard to find.

Greetz
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Super, the S-M-C, and a SMC-A 28. In direct comparisons, I honestly don't note a difference between them, they are all of a very similar character. In jpeg size from the same shot, the SMC-A gives a slightly bigger size, then the Super followed by the S-M-C. The gap between SMC-A and the Takumars may be significant (and the newer lens has 2.Cool, but between the two Taks I think it is sample variation.

Compared to a TX Vivitar 2.5, the Viv does not resolve quite as well, but maintains an interesting saturation and tonality. Plus focuses closer.

They are all worthwhile lenses - though with a K mount I see no reason to pick one of the others over the SMC-A.

Sorry I have no FF digital samples, I've shot these with a crop digital and use them with film.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please judge yourself by viewing samples taken with a 28mm Takumar on fullframe, well, actually on 35mm film:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=takumar+28mm+film
( this flickr search may result in including some taken on APS-C as well, but mostly they will be on 35mm film )

I use S-M-C Takumar 28mm f3.5 on Pentax APS-C and like it very much.

all my photos taken with this lens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157605173945492/

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you can't do much wrong with a Tak, but of course the edge on a digital fullframe is very critical. Only very few lenses stand up to the demands.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor is right, kuuan's #2 is a good example, and I beleive Spotmatic can give you more advice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
LucisPictor is right, kuuan's #2 is a good example, and I beleive Spotmatic can give you more advice.

As i read in the opening post, the question was, how this lens performs on a fullframe body for checking out the usability for his EOS 5D..

Sorry, but you are all talking about the performance on a crop cam or film cam

JIM SCHEMEL was interested in the fullframe behavior for his EOS 5D i think.

Thats was the question.. and LucisPictor is right, ... Only very few lenses stand up to the demands on the egdes of a fullframe digital body like the EOS 5D.

My experience i did wrote down some posts before and i really did try a lot other 28mm Lenses on EOS 5D. Today i use the Leica Elmarit 2.8/28mm, which is also not perfect but performs well. Also a Carl Zeiss Distagon at 28mm works fine for you.

Its a bad idea to compair the performance for the ability to perform well on a fullframe to answer with the behavior on a film cam. The sensor performs in other ways. You will see the differences clearly in the edges.
The behavior on the micro-lenses close to the sensor is making the differences very clearly. Especialy in terms of vignetting and overall sharpness ratio.

Under this working-on- a- digital- fullframe aspect i wouldnt buy any wide angel Pentax again.

Cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few examples from me. The lens was plumbed into a Canon 40d with it's 1.6x sensor. I know it's not FF but at least you have something to compare. I love this lens. I just need something nice to point it at!! Very Happy