Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 3,3-4,0/28-85 mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 3,3-4,0/28-85 mm Reply with quote

Hi,

could buy this lens. Are there any experience with this lens ?
Thanks for your assistance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great lens.Arguably one of the best zooms ever made.Here is my Set that i have taken with the lens since i got it all are taken on a 5D.
-Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/footstool67/sets/72157620730733903/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens but big & heavy, not often in my bag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice lens but big & heavy, not often in my bag

Big and heavy is relative.Compared to my CZJ 180 sonnar it is a light weight.I will say that its only drawbacks are a bit of CA on the corners at the wide end as well as a bit of Pin Cushion distortion on the wide end.Both are easily dealt with in PP.
I will add in doing my research on this lens before i purchased mine.I learned that this lens was actually a joint venture between Zeiss and Leica!!! What more could you ask for in a lens.Great color, incredible sharpness( Rivals Zeiss primes in the same focal length), and a focus ring as smooth as i have ever used.
-Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the 35-70? It's compact, lightweight and above all, has THE best image quality you could ask for, as good as primes. It begs to be taken out and used and is a great holiday lens. My only complaint is flare control vs my primes, but that is to be expected I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

@ Jim - really fine pics on your flickr account. Thanks for the link.

I will report what will happen. Saw this lens in near unused condition this afternoon at my local dealer.

Anyway, at the moment the price is too high and he has to sleep one night or two to reduce the selling price on a more moderate level.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
Have you looked at the 35-70? It's compact, lightweight and above all, has THE best image quality you could ask for

Interesting ; I've just taken delivery of the 35-70 VS, and I chose it over the 28-85 as my first CZ zoom. I've not yet had a chance to take it out for walkies, but in dry runs it handles very pleasingly, if heavier than the primes. The only zooms I've been using are the Yashica 28-85 (a great lens) and the Yashica 35-70, also a good lens and noticeably diminutive compared with the CZ cousin. I chose the 35-70 since it spans most of the primes I use, and even when I use the Yashica 28-85, it's most in the conservative zones. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this 28-85 zeiss zoom, its the prettiest lens I have too. KEH has a few for sale. Its, by far, my best zoom, in fact its in my top 5 overall favorite lenses.

its sharpness is nearly on par with the 3.5/100 Sonnar, you'll need heavy leather gloves to play with it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too have one. Check :

www.liammartin.com (people section). The latest (with the guy) are shot with that.

also :

http://liammartin.com/ZeissTest/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://liammartin.com/Cats&Garden/Small/IMG_6431-40.jpg

Sample from yesterday