Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Catadioptrics : Tamron 350/500
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Catadioptrics : Tamron 350/500 Reply with quote

Shots on tripod, I tried to habe the same reproduction ratio to compare the two lens. They finally seem very close in performance on my 6 Mpix sensor, but the 350 offers more blur in out of focus areas Smile

Tamron 500/8

Tamron 350/5.6

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no difference both are great lens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you like dognuts? Very good with horseradish cream, smoked salmon
and a few thinly sliced red onions... yummy for brunch. But for photography???

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miror lenses' bokeh is hard to handle to obtain a good looking bokeh, but I love them. I only use the 350/5.6, the 500/8 is a bit too dark. Maybe I'll sell it when I'll get the Takumar 500/4.5, but I wont sell my 350/5.6 Razz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was just joking of course. Cat lenses have their right to be here and when used wisely, they are able to produce fantastic results. Our member Shinishiro-San (known from flickr) is a master (for me) of that lens type...have a look here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyshin/tags/reflexnikkor500mmf8new/ here some of his works using a 8/500mm Reflex Nikkor:

... and I'm not surprised that he is no longer active here ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! great donuts samples Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here another example for a very nice cat lens..

a very compact and excellent performer
Weight only 750g !!!

Its very nice looking on a 5D... very compact, nice for handheld shots, no need for a tripod collar... i like this very fine lens..

Leica MR Telyt on a EOS 5D.. all shown shots handheld !

very decent donuts..

Beautiful color reendering.. and contrast..!

Sharp as a knife..

Very rare and expensiv, but my favorite catadiop.. Maybe the best..

greetz
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very sharp indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...., I´m not the typical bokeh eater, but these pin heads are beautyful. I simply love them.

I´m thinking of buying something like this, but do not know what to grab for Nikon except of Nikkors. Any experience with Tokina 500 f8?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Superb indeed!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss Contax Mirotar Reflex lenses (4.5/500mm and 5.6/1000mm) are supposed to be the best existing catadioptric lenses.

I had the Zeiss Jena 1000mm version once, quite a monster w. some 20 Kilos weight, excellent sharpness but just too akward to handle, so I sold it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sigma 600 f/8 is also a respectable performer. I used to own one in Canon FD mount, but sold it when I switched to Nikon. Wish I still had it. The donut bokeh are just a fact of life when shooting with a mirror. But for distant subjects, it's rarely an issue:

Sigma 600/8, Kodachrome 64.

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here another performer

Olympus Zuiko Reflex 8/500

Edit (found thisin my archive) - same flower with
Leitz MR-Telyt-R 8/500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: MC 3M-5CA Reply with quote

A Soviet lightweight MC 3M-5CA 500mm f/8:

First a full image - this chopper was going around as if it were lost:

And this is 1:1 (14+MP crop camera) - seems like I was right when I speculated that they were lost as the co-pilot is reading a map - or maybe a daily newspaper Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm verry happy with my 3M-5A. Recently purchased over EBAY from Russia. Arrived in Mint condition with filters and case.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive shots. I'm on the lookout for a 350 F5.6 Tamron, but they go for crazy money now. If I wasn't in the UK, I'd go for an F8, but it's always too dark here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from my Tamy 500.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url]=http://twapsi.blogspot.com/2009/05/tamron-sp-500mm-f8-55b-mirror-lens.htmlHere [/url]and here my views on the 500mm.
Its a really fine lens.

The 350mm is more expensive only due to its rarity I think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edumad wrote:
The 350mm is more expensive only due to its rarity I think.

The higher price of the 350mm F/5.6 is indeed because this lens is rarer but I think it's also because on a crop format DSLR it's much more useful than a 500mm lens with an F/8 aperture. 350mm is already quite a long focal on an APS-C DSLR and F/5.6 (which is in fact F/8 when light losses are taken into account) is already not such a fast aperture. I guess nowadays the 350/5.6 lens is much more useful than the 500/8 (which is in fact a 500/11), hence the higher demand.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cormorant with Tamron 350/5.6 on Nikon D300. Handheld. Cropped about 50%.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had both Tammys - and although I really liked their optical performance I sold them.
For me on an aps-dslr 300mm is long enough (Tamron 5.6/300 is my favourite lens there).

As for the good or best mirror lenses:
The german Color Foto made some tests of them and found the Zeiss to be the best but Canon (FD !) and Minolta (MD !) to be close behind. (If I remember correctly they had no Leica lens in this race....)

I remember some other very good mirror lenses being tested - and a very very good but pretty rare one was the Vivitar Ser. 1 4.5/450 mm.
The Sigma 600mm got different tests results but I think they changed the optical formula.