Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panarama of Stanley Bay
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Panarama of Stanley Bay Reply with quote

Here's a view from my rooftop with my new Helios 44-2.

It was stitched together with 12 handheld images with PTGui software.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely stitched. Boost the contrast a bit and straighten the horizon and it will be even better! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Here it is again with more contrast and a straight horizon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky Wilson, beautiful view from your home!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your second shot is much better! Panoramas is something I have been meaning to try but haven't got round to yet. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second... better! For sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the constructive comments. I've been taking panoramas for a few years, nothing special. Tried different stitching s/w. They come in handy when you don't have that wide angle Distagon handy Wink when you are on a trip.

I've tried to do the 360 degree bubble QTVR. My Photoshop skills are still not up to it to merge the bottom shot into a QTVR. I've seen some that are seamless and soooo professional Smile Still in progress, I've got the pano head and Canon EF 15mm/2.8 full frame fisheye, which only requires 6 shots horizontally, plus a top and bottom shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice part of HK. You're luck. I am a native myself, but left the country years ago...
Nearby Ocean Park.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be a few years back when the air quality was better and you get a clear shot such as yours. Now a days the visibility is not so great due to the pollution from the factories north of the border.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
That must be a few years back when the air quality was better and you get a clear shot such as yours. Now a days the visibility is not so great due to the pollution from the factories north of the border.

Yeah, I left the country 20 years ago and took my wife back in 2005. "Pollution" - I witness that myself and I was amazed how bad the air was. The smog can be physically seen for most part of the day.

IMO, HK is a a photographer's paradise.

A few more shots:

Enjoy,
Simon Wink

PS I don't mean to steal your post. Just wanted to "show off" HK.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

Yeah, I left the country 20 years ago and took my wife back in 2005. "Pollution" - I witness that myself and I was amazed how bad the air was. The smog can be physically seen for most part of the day.

I think many people leave HK due to the poor air quality. Here is some photos taken in Ocean Park this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics. Makes me feel home sick!

I am amazed why the Chinese / HK local government are not doing something more about it to improve the situation. I am sure the emissions are regulated, but I guess it is all affected by trade wind directions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

I think there's not much control on emissions in Chinese factories (many of which are HK owned!). The HK Gov is like an ostrich and say the pollution is from the diesel buses/taxis. They did a big push to convert the taxi's to Liquid Propane Gas, but still no much improvement. We need to rely on the rain to wash the bad air away and enjoy it while it lasts. One thing nice about the Olympics in 2008 was the air was much better as the Chinese gov shut down most of the factories in the Olympic venue areas. HK was host to the equestrian events.

I would do anything to get shots with the nice blue sky, but those days you can count with two hands within the year!

I used to take panoramas from Victoria Peak at night, but have given up due to the poor air quality. The haze really messes up the sharpness and colors X-(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic. You should make it B/W, cause the left part is desaturated, it would look better then.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilson.c wrote:
Simon,

I think there's not much control on emissions in Chinese factories (many of which are HK owned!). The HK Gov is like an ostrich and say the pollution is from the diesel buses/taxis. They did a big push to convert the taxi's to Liquid Propane Gas, but still no much improvement. We need to rely on the rain to wash the bad air away and enjoy it while it lasts. One thing nice about the Olympics in 2008 was the air was much better as the Chinese gov shut down most of the factories in the Olympic venue areas. HK was host to the equestrian events.

I would do anything to get shots with the nice blue sky, but those days you can count with two hands within the year!

I used to take panoramas from Victoria Peak at night, but have given up due to the poor air quality. The haze really messes up the sharpness and colors X-(

Very sad to read about this. In the end everyone will suffer with their long term health in the name of "progress." I thought many lessons have been learned since the "London Smog" in the 1900s during the start of industrial revolution.

http://www.epa.gov/history/topics/perspect/london.htm

There are many air quality conrol technologies available today which should be strongly enforced. But I guess may be the companies based in the main land would loose its competitive edge if they start to enforce environmental control measures.

-Si...

Crying or Very sad Sad