Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

White dog, large edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: White dog, large edition Reply with quote

Bessa R, Canon 50/f1.8, no lens hood, BW400CN, drugstore processing/scanning.

I love this lens. This shot was made in late afternoon with hard Florida sunlight coming from the left. I have ordered a hood for the lens. I think it might get better ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking dog Smile

This is C41 b/w film right ?
it looks very very good i have to try it too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extreme contrast. Smile
A result like this is only possible with b&w film, is it? I read somewhere that b&w film has 3 stops more dynamic range over digital sensors of today, which is impressive. Gets me thinking about trying it, though I've never had any experience with film.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
Extreme contrast. Smile
A result like this is only possible with b&w film, is it? I read somewhere that b&w film has 3 stops more dynamic range over digital sensors of today, which is impressive. Gets me thinking about trying it, though I've never had any experience with film.

Yes, Kodak BW400CN is extremely forgiving for over exposure. On the other hand, under exposure leads to ugly dye clumps.

I've seen a sample online where there were still details in the highlights with 10 stops over exposure!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The negative is very rich with detail. I exposed for the street so the dog would retain its sharp whiteness rather than turn into neutral gray. I turned down the contrast a bit in PP, turned up the brightness just a tad, and desaturated a cyan cast from the drugstore scan. You can see from the shadows of the dog's legs how hard the late afternoon sun was from straight left.
The dog is retired/rescued racing greyhound. It belongs to a neighbor of my daughter in Pensacola.