Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old Tamron 300mm questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Old Tamron 300mm questions Reply with quote

I bought this lens today on a fleamarket for 3 euros. It says 'auto tamron 300m 1:5.6 No. 341101'. From the size, weight and other specs I would say it is an adaptamatic 670Au, only it misses the typical aluminium ring.
So is this the 670Au or is it something else? BTW there should be rubber on the focusring but that has gone.
Other question: It has a canon fd mount which is no good to me. Can I use this lens with a regular adaptall2 adapter on my Nikon?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an odd one! It has characteristics of both the original Adaptamatic, AND the later Adaptall 1 version! I'd say that wasn't the Adaptamatic, but instead an early copy of the newer Adaptall 1 model, as it looks like it has an Adaptall mount fitted, and it's missing the silver flashes. I think the focusing ring cover is missing (they often cracked and fell off!).

Can you remove the mount and expose the connecter?

I've found that both Adaptall 1 and 2 mounts work with all my Adaptall 1, 2 and SP lenses, so you should be able to pick up a cheapish mount for your camera Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you shrek. This is a pic of the mount without the adapter:
And this is what the adapter looks like:
<br>
(Except for the blue which is just a trick of the light. It is black of course.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definately an Adaptall mount.

Not sure what the adapter is though, are you sure it's a Canon FD? To me it's either an Exakta or a Pentax M42 ES adapter with an FD conversion adapter screwed on top Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I must admit I never saw a fd mount 'in the flesh' before. So here is another pic from the other side:
Well it clearly says Canon. I tried but could not take it apart.
Anyway I am glad to hear that the lens takes ordinary adaptall adapters. So I will get one of those.
Another problem is that there is some fungus behind the front element. Anybody familiar with the best way to open this lens?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffie wrote:

Another problem is that there is some fungus behind the front element. Anybody familiar with the best way to open this lens?

See if the filter ring threads go right down past the front retaining ring. If they do, you can undo the ring and the front element will likely pop out - perhaps there is a futher retaining ring underneath the front ring, or similar. Take careful note of the number of turns you undo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting find !

It seems like a 670au variant with the Adaptall mount and different cosmetics.

All the basic features of the 670au version are present, the same rings, M-A switch, location of the aperture and DOF scales, etc. The focus ring has interestingly been modified to have the focus scale engraved on a piece of clear plastic. The covering is the textured plastic of the early Adaptalls instead of the knurled rings or ribbed rubber of the Adaptamatics, etc. But the name ring sounds like the same as the 670au ("Auto Tamron", no "BBAR", etc.).

Its definitely an Adaptall mount, and you have the Canon FD adapter.

A pity about the condition, its a very interesting and possibly rare piece for a collector.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus scale on the see through plastic is usually attributed to the silver Adaptall lenses...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot of interesting information. Though I am not a real collector and am mainly interested in the quality of the lens I like the idea of the lens being a bit special.
My husband managed to open the lens - thank you Farside for your usefull info - and is at this very moment clearing it from fungus. I have too wait for the right adapter to arrive before I can try it out though 'Crying or Very sad'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread resurrection time again. I picked one of these up today at the local camera fair in unmarked condition with clean optics, in it's original case, for £10.
I haven't had time to try it yet but it looks like a very nice lens, a bit slow maybe? but no slower than my Tair, but a hell of lot lighter and smaller!
I think I shall like this lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another resurrection, incase someone else is searching for identification of this lens.

I have now got two of these Tamrons, one black the other silver, and it appears that this particular model was a hybrid of the earlier Adaptamatic 670AU lens and the later CT300 Adaptall lens. The Pentax Lens Review Database has it designated as T-3OO.
This hybrid appears to have the optics and some features of the 670AU such as the perspex window and tripod mount, and is quite different from the more common and well respected CT-300.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-bbar-multi-c-auto-tamron-156-f300mm.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following lenses exist as both adaptamatics and as pre-1976'ish "version 1" adaptalls that are reckoned to be essentially mount-changes. Most (not 70-220mm, 80-250mm f3.8 ) were then revamped as adaptall-1's, 1976-78.

28mm f2.8;
105mm f2.5;
135mm f2.8;
200mm f3.5;
300mm f5.6;
38-100mm f3.8;
70-220mm f3.8;
80-250mm f3.8;
85-210mm f4.5;
70-350mm f4.5;
200-500mm f6.9.
(don't think I've missed any...).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....(don't think I've missed any...).

Don't speak too soon.
This is Tamron. Anything is possible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....(don't think I've missed any...).

Don't speak too soon.
This is Tamron. Anything is possible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
The following lenses exist as both adaptamatics and as pre-1976'ish "version 1" adaptalls that are reckoned to be essentially mount-changes. Most (not 70-220mm, 80-250mm f3.8 ) were then revamped as adaptall-1's, 1976-78.

28mm f2.8;
105mm f2.5;
135mm f2.8;
200mm f3.5;
300mm f5.6;
38-100mm f3.8;
70-220mm f3.8;
80-250mm f3.8;
85-210mm f4.5;
70-350mm f4.5;
200-500mm f6.9.
(don't think I've missed any...).

I can see some similarities between my PFH-28AU 28 / 2.8 Adaptamatic and my BBAR CW-28 Adaptall 28 / 2.8 - which was made 1976 to 79. The Iris has the same hooked shape, and the front elements are both very domed - although the Adaptamatic has a larger diameter. I haven't tried them side by side, it could be interesting.

My only other Adaptamatic is the excellent 870AU 200 / 3.5, which is completely different to my BBAR 04B which dates from 1979 to 83.

I do like these early Tamrons, I got a 95-205 / 6.3 910P the other day in nearly mint condition, and I'm amazed by how good it is, obviously a lens 'of its time', but way better than I thought it might be. As indeed is my other favourite old Tamron, the 135 - 225 Twin Tele which I use a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do these older tamron 300mm compare with the SP 300mm f5.6, as regards both size / weight and image quality?

i would like to acquire an SP 300mm but the older ones seem far more common, wondering if it'd do in the meanwhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the "v1's" hold their own pretty well against the SP 54B. A touch softer wide open, rendering is a little different (bit "cooler"), can show lower contrast in unhelpful light. Close focus 2.5m as opposed to 1.4m - that's 54B's USP.
These 1:1 pixel peep crops of tourists on a turret on Conwy Castle (one of my usual test subjects) were taken with an adaptamatic 300mm a few years ago with my pentax K-r (12MPx). f5.6, f8, f11.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three pictures from the Tamron pictured in my post above, taken with a Sony A6000 - crop sensor. Resized but no processing or sharpening, just a bit of levels on the Blackbird shot that was very underexposed. These would scrub up nicely with a bit of minimal sharpening and processing. The gravestone picture was certainly shot wide open and focused on the edge closest. The other two were probably one, maybe two, stops down. The bridge is nearly 1/2 mile away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bad at all! Like 1 small