Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Film selection guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Film selection guide Reply with quote

http://photo.net/equipment/film

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for this quote

Quote:
I'm not sure why Black and White film makes sense any more. When I want black and white, I can just choose "desaturate" in PhotoShop and it is done.

i don't give his credits Laughing

Honestly to choose films i browse forums to see the rendition , or flickr , or see prints of my own ( basically i often used Superia 200 so its no surprise ) or photo revues that i collected. I discovered some films from this forum as well. My choices for color can change, i'll try kodak soon.

B&W : Ilford fp4 & hp5 are classics , agfa apx 100 , foma 100 . don't trust the guy who wrote the review ! Wink

thanx for the link nonethelesse Attila

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have right in this matter Hexi, B&W films has place that is not easy like author said.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well even users of digital don't sometimes like the rendition in b&w of their pictures and prefer film rendition. But the statement of this guy is really a short cut > why shoot film, you have photoshop and that's the most disturbing .

he won't be really helping in our "save film" thread Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After his posts we can found hundreds of comment from users.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm JUST now getting into film photography. I haven't even started actually.

My girlfriend just bought me an old film body this past weekend to get started with. I'm really excited about learning more about the film world, but this guy disappointed me with his B/W film statement quoted above. Good to see I wasn't the only one that didn't agree with that comment.

Thanks for the tips on what films are best. Being that I'm novice at this, what film would you all suggest to get started with. I'm sure I'm going to ruin my first few rolls, so I'd like some suggestions as to what film would be good (and inexpensive) to get started on.

Now...to find a good film scanner...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canoneer wrote:
I'm JUST now getting into film photography. I haven't even started actually.

My girlfriend just bought me an old film body this past weekend to get started with. I'm really excited about learning more about the film world, but this guy disappointed me with his B/W film statement quoted above. Good to see I wasn't the only one that didn't agree with that comment.

Thanks for the tips on what films are best. Being that I'm novice at this, what film would you all suggest to get started with. I'm sure I'm going to ruin my first few rolls, so I'd like some suggestions as to what film would be good (and inexpensive) to get started on.

Now...to find a good film scanner...

Depend from your subject and what would you like to do.

We have lot of choices from print films, slides and B&W no universal solution. If you like B&W photography (I don't) try film first what you think is not expensive for first trials.

Cheap film Kodak Gold 200

http://forum.mflenses.com/ricoh-35mm-point-and-shoots-t19053,highlight,konica+film.html

Memories 200 1 USD film and produce superb result.

I suggest to take an Epson V500 scanner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i got to used fp4 and hp5 films when i started photo years ago but with a compact point and shoot camera ( good old Olympus superzoom 800 ). I got pretty good results.

So my advice is to get a film that does all type of action, being it outside, inside shots, portaits, low light etc. get a 400 iso. HP5 or Neopan 400 or a cheapest one but very good : Agfa APX 400, it's about 2€ the roll, you can also go for Fomapan 400 same price.

my choice would go for the hp5 though.

Have in mind that a 100 iso film needs more light that a 400 iso. Slower ( 100 -200 ) films give better details, while quick ( 400 + up to 3200 ) films are more grainy, they give details nonetheless. It depends what you intent to shoot most.

try a 400 iso to begin. that said i've done pictures with a 100 iso inside with few light and the results were good. and a scanner its not the aim, b&w or color are intended to prints Very Happy

good luck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your help. I will look around for some of these film brands and get to shooting. I assume it's not all that different from digital, just something I'll have to get the hang of.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canoneer wrote:
Thank you both for your help. I will look around for some of these film brands and get to shooting. I assume it's not all that different from digital, just something I'll have to get the hang of.

Thanks!

Shooting is same right if you have advanced camera with built-in light meter and even more fun due better viewfinder and challenge about results Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not a great camera at all, so I don't know how well its light meter is working right now. It's the original Nikkorex 35. I will find out soon if it's working or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canoneer wrote:
Well it's not a great camera at all, so I don't know how well its light meter is working right now. It's the original Nikkorex 35. I will find out soon if it's working or not.

You can measure light with your DSLR.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or get a cell. Its very precise, lighter and less appealing to thieves Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was actually planning on using my DSLR to meter if the Nikkorex's didn't work.

And what do you mean by a cell? A cell phone or some other gadget I'm not in the know of?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No a cellphone doesn't measure light yet Wink

i was talking about a light meter. a basic one ( sixtar or other ) costs about 30€. very precise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha ok thanks. I thought the iphone had a new app for measuring light or something!

I'll look into these different options. thanks!