Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya (Tokina?) 400/6.3 preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Mamiya (Tokina?) 400/6.3 preset Reply with quote

Bill (casualcollector) found me this lens in a Florida thrift shop. Thanks again Bill !

Its the big one on the right, beside the two other long tele's I have from the ubiquitous 1960's Tokina line of presets. This 400mm was one of the first lenses offered by Mamiya in 1966 for their first M42 cameras, the 500TL and 1000TL. This lens is identical to a lens that was sold by Tokyo Koki under the Tokina brand name and (mostly) under a host of distributors brands. Though there were some cosmetic changes to the Mamiya-branded lens, these are superficial, such as the finish and knurling of various rings. If it was not made by Tokina, then Mamiya must have licensed the design and made a very close copy.

Unlike the shorter Tokina line, this one resorted to a simpler helical arrangement and a rotating front group. Like the others in this line, it also suffers from a long minimum focus, in this case 30ft/10m. Bill sent it to me complete with its original hood, which is a rather undersized thing, but again thats a common defect also.

This one is not a T2, though it looks like one, its a fixed M42. The Tokinas have a sleeve insert that holds the mount, T2 (42mmx.75), or dedicated mount as required. I have seen this done with Sears and Petri-branded varieties of these also.

This is a perfectly nice lens to use. Though long it is not unbalanced and its easy to focus hand-held. And it is reasonably light for what it is, though very solid and sturdy.

Performance is excellent for an old 400mm. It is very sharp (by my standards anyway) at f/6.3, it doesn't flare, it delivers very acceptable contrast. There is a bit of "blooming" in over-lit situations. No significant color fringing. All in all, an excellent user, quite comparable with the excellent Spiratones(and other brands those were sold under, manufacturer still unknown) and Tamrons of the same period.

Some shots with extension rings, all shots at f/6.3 -

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis you are amazing! Shocked

I have trouble shooting anything over a 90mm.
Fact is I don't even like to have an extra roll of film in my pocket for the bulk.
You take these monsters out in the field and bring back gems every time. Very Happy
It's a testament to your skill and very impressive.

I think that the next upstart lens munufaturer should get you quickly on the payroll to give the product line a lift.

Seriously Beautiful job as always Cool

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Love Boat looks seriously interesting... even the boat!

Nice captures

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these seriously handheld? Shocked Luis, you're unbelievable Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LUIS!!

Very exciting pics. A lot to print in large size.

If you know that in the fourth, these people could need someone else, please send me a mail. I will go free. Very Happy

Regards, Rino.