Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Triplet Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Triplet Lenses Reply with quote

After my positive experiences with my Meritar, I'm thinking of adding a a couple of others to my collection.

Anyone have any recommendations for Triplets either longer (75-135mm) or wider (28-35mm) lenses. And that are in M42 mount or at least adaptable to M42.

Thanks

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The widest triplet-based non-retrofocal lenses are 40mm, because for a wider lens the optical block should be placed closer to the film and it would interfere with the mirror.

Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 - also known as Meyer wide-angle anastigmat - is the most known 40mm triplet. It has very nice bokeh even wide opened, no rings in bokeh. Centre is very sharp. Here are some wide-opened samples (the last two in the first post):

http://forum.mflenses.com/a-few-macro-yashinon-and-helioplan-test-samples-t18726.html

and here one more wide-opened shot in full resolution:
http://img3.abload.de/img/sdim0249_4.5kfr0.jpg

Good copy would have slightly better contrast and microcontrast, mine has damaged inner coating. Stopping down has only very tiny impact on sharpness.

Meyer Trioplan 50/2.9 - I'm not sure, how close is this lens in terms of character and performance to your Meritar, but it has very sharp centre even wide opened and soft corners even stopped down. It creates nice 3D effect as your Meritar, bokeh is very nice stopped down and retro (rings) wide opened.

I searched some 70-85mm triplet lenses many times, but I was never really successful. There are some Zeiss Triotars - mostly for rangefinders (= close-up or macro on DSLR) or for TLRs (macro or micro on DSLR). I have no idea why Zeiss nor Meyer offered some triplets in this focal length...

Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 - this lens is a bit softer wide opened, but sharp stopped down. It creates really strong retro atmosphere at f/2.8. OOF lights in bokeh are ring shaped, if present.

Zeiss Triotar 135/4 - triotar is very sharp stopped down, but lacks the retro effect. It is capable to deliver nice 3D effect, but it isn't easy to achieve on crop camera.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with triplets wasn't good.

In SRL only used domiplan 2,8/50 (too soft for me, only center sharp from 5,6 and the borders ever soft).

In RF I used voigtar and lanthar (voigtlander) in Zeiss used 40 mm triotar (rollei 35) and 45 mm pantar (contina) - for the icarex there were a version of pantar and for the contaflex 126 too- in retina RF used radionar and reomar (schneider's and rodenstock's triplets). No one liked me.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta Rokkor-TC 135mm/4.0 preset lens is made with 39mm TM for bellows. It is a fine triplet with 12 aperture blades . The same lens with focusing unit doesn't fit on your DSLR, but the bellows model is easy to use and delivers nice IQ.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forget the tele lenses.

Excelent lens: Elmar triplet Leica M 90 mm.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mainly old, pre-SMC triplets for UV. I have the following:

The Enna Werk Sandmar 35/4.5 is very disappointing. Poor IQ overall.

The Schneider-Kreuznach Jsogon 40/4.5 is bright and sharp, good in center and corners. Performs well wide open, great bokeh.

Ludwig Meritar 50/2.9 - I love it! Great light-catcher and overall performer.

Leica Elmar 90/4.0 is low contrast, not good for my needs. It may be my lens, which is early uncoated.

CZJ Triotar 135/4.0 - my standby for tight macro use. Not flashy, not high contrast, just a good middle-of-the-road lens.

Piesker Tele-Picon 180/5.5 -- outstanding! Quality build but not as heavy as smaller lenses. Very sharp, IMO, even wide open. Able to get bokeh but only at 5.5 and it is small circles, not pleasant. Otherwise, wonderful.

These are just the opinions of a relative novice who is taking only technical shots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
The widest triplet-based non-retrofocal lenses are 40mm, because for a wider lens the optical block should be placed closer to the film and it would interfere with the mirror.

Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 - also known as Meyer wide-angle anastigmat - is the most known 40mm triplet. It has very nice bokeh even wide opened, no rings in bokeh. Centre is very sharp. Here are some wide-opened samples (the last two in the first post):

http://forum.mflenses.com/a-few-macro-yashinon-and-helioplan-test-samples-t18726.html

and here one more wide-opened shot in full resolution:
http://img3.abload.de/img/sdim0249_4.5kfr0.jpg

Good copy would have slightly better contrast and microcontrast, mine has damaged inner coating. Stopping down has only very tiny impact on sharpness.

Meyer Trioplan 50/2.9 - I'm not sure, how close is this lens in terms of character and performance to your Meritar, but it has very sharp centre even wide opened and soft corners even stopped down. It creates nice 3D effect as your Meritar, bokeh is very nice stopped down and retro (rings) wide opened.

I searched some 70-85mm triplet lenses many times, but I was never really successful. There are some Zeiss Triotars - mostly for rangefinders (= close-up or macro on DSLR) or for TLRs (macro or micro on DSLR). I have no idea why Zeiss nor Meyer offered some triplets in this focal length...

Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 - this lens is a bit softer wide opened, but sharp stopped down. It creates really strong retro atmosphere at f/2.8. OOF lights in bokeh are ring shaped, if present.

Zeiss Triotar 135/4 - triotar is very sharp stopped down, but lacks the retro effect. It is capable to deliver nice 3D effect, but it isn't easy to achieve on crop camera.

what about the 75mm Trioplan? any experience?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

Zeiss Triotar 4/8,5cm for Contax and Exakta.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Meyer Trioplan 100 mm f/2.8 - only because of its special bokeh at 2.8:

The long Novoflex 400/5.6T I have not tested thoroughly, but I think it is good from first few images made with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get nice results with the Domiplan. When it is very soft, the rear element isn't aligned properly. You can easily adjust that by trying to center it with the three screws that hold it in place. OK I meant to post this here: http://forum.mflenses.com/which-triplet-to-buy-t81599.html

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ik have a stuck Rollei B35. It has a Triotar 40mm 2.8.
Might be nice to mount it on a mirrorless camera?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:

The long Novoflex 400/5.6T I have not tested thoroughly, but I think it is good from first few images made with it.

I do have the newest version of the lens. Apart from the field curvature (which is a drawback of all triplets), it is an excellent lens. Surprisingly, at f11 it has much less CAs than e. g. the Canon new FD 2.8/400mm L ...

S

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv'e got a Soligor 200mm 6.3 Triplet and I just got a 38mm F2.8 lens out of an old yashica camera. It looks to be a triplet. I yet have to adapt it, but on Pentax it will probably be very macro.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That soligor 200mm is a tamron DN10. The rear element is just a flat.

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-200mm-compact-lenses-t8203,highlight,%2Btamron+%2B200mm.html

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZJ 13,5cm Triotar 4 (the old slim version) and Isco 100 Isconar 4.5.

Two of my favorite lenses.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
You can get nice results with the Domiplan. When it is very soft, the rear element isn't aligned properly. You can easily adjust that by trying to center it with the three screws that hold it in place. OK I meant to post this here: http://forum.mflenses.com/which-triplet-to-buy-t81599.html

I have a lens that is like that.

I have two Domiplans, one in a lousy external condition that is sharp, and one I got to replace it but that one had the rear element loose and it is rather soft.

How do you mean center the rear element? What should I strive for? Same overall distance to the outer ring, or?
Is there any way to measure best position and work on the screws at the same time?

Thanks and best regards from Sweden!