Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-3 questions--Any experts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-3 questions--Any experts? Reply with quote

Will a Helios 44-3 made in '93 will fit on my Pentax K20d using a M42 adapter? Will the focus ring turn comfortably? I am also used to sanding the paint off of the back of my manual lenses to short out the contacts to enable focus trapping. I am worried this won't be possible with this lens because of it's deep rear groove. I would be very grateful any advice or info about this lens. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 44-3 questions--Any experts? Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Will a Helios 44-3 made in '93 will fit on my Pentax K20d using a M42 adapter? Will the focus ring turn comfortably? I am also used to sanding the paint off of the back of my manual lenses to short out the contacts to enable focus trapping. I am worried this won't be possible with this lens because of it's deep rear groove. I would be very grateful any advice or info about this lens. Thanks!

Hi

Not an expert on that (or any lens) but if it is the same size as my 58 f2 Biotar you will need either a flange adapter (and lose infinity focus) or to use foil to get it to focus trap.

The biotar at least does not come near to covering the electrical contacts, if yours does then please ignore this.

neil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1993 44-3 via M42 adapter without problems Smile

Here are two samples (as I remember, both of them taken at f/2):

http://img1.abload.de/img/sdim4305hg2to.jpg
http://img3.abload.de/img/sdim4292hbh70.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine fits on a Samsung GX-10 (K10D) with an M42 adapter no problem, its an infinity type with the the inner flange that engages the auto pin as sold by Alex (hk300), should work with others too. The lens is supposed to be sharper than other Helios 44 types. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the very useful information Poolhall and Neil. Absolutely wonderful photos No-x. They certainly played a part in my final decision to pick this Helios!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Zen... I dont have the 44-3 but look forward to seeing your work with it. I am on the look-out for an inexpensive 44K with the pentax mount. But so far the few I have seen are too much.

Also was thinking of tracking down the 44-6...

I am a Helios Junkie...

Great to have you on this forum...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 44k is well worth picking up if you can get one, I think I have some samples on the frum somewhere, and I am after a 44m6 myself, I think we are becoming victims of our own succes here, I notice in the UK the prices for Zenit cameras and Helios lenses have risen quite a bit recently. Its pretty difficult to pick up a Helios 44 for say £5 now, last year it would have been no problem. A lot more people seem to be using manual lenses, and have realized the Russian gear is a lot better than it was originally given credit for. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody interested in the 44-2 version of these lenses, there are a number of them available on the 'Bay at the moment in the €7.00 + Shipping region - I have a couple of bruised and battered copies which (even if there's an infinity focus issue with the 5D) are capable of really sweet results Smile

Spotted a couple of 44-3 MCs out there too Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

44-2's seem to be about the cheapest around I'm fairly sure they are the most numerous as well, and as Mal says definitely capable of very good results Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good copy of 44-2 is as sharp as Biotar. I prefer 44-2 to 44M and 44M-4. Theoretical resolution is identical and 44-2 has better build quality. It has also better (8-blades) aperture compared to 44M-4.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking for a 44-3.

Saw s 44-2 in my local charity ship today for 3.99 GBP, looked in good condition but decided to pass on it as I have the 44M and a very good S-M-C Tak. Although now I'm wishing I'd picked it up.

There was also a nice Pentacon 1.8/50 for 2.99GBP, but iris was stuck open. I've yet to find one that works properly. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sell the 1986 version, but that's probably not the one you're looking for Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Saw s 44-2 in my local charity ship today for 3.99 GBP, looked in good condition but decided to pass on it as I have the 44M and a very good S-M-C Tak. Although now I'm wishing I'd picked it up.

There was also a nice Pentacon 1.8/50 for 2.99GBP, but iris was stuck open. I've yet to find one that works properly. Crying or Very sad

hi martinsmith99.

Pentacon 1,8/50 is a very nice lens (and cheap).

Sure you will find that the pentacon is as good (perhaps better) than the takumars, fujinons, nikkors, canons and olympus in the 1,7/1,8 range. In the cold side with very pleasant colors (good skin) and sharp too.

Iris problems? Common in meyer/CZJ lenses. Easy to OK.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

hi martinsmith99.

Pentacon 1,8/50 is a very nice lens (and cheap).

Sure you will find that the pentacon is as good (perhaps better) than the takumars, fujinons, nikkors, canons and olympus in the 1,7/1,8 range. In the cold side with very pleasant colors (good skin) and sharp too.

Iris problems? Common in meyer/CZJ lenses. Easy to OK.

Rino.

I owned one briefly and was impressed, but the aperture was slow so gave it to Alex. It was part of a deal, but it did make me want one. I'm not sure it's better than a Tak, but it is better than my Helios 44M.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Don't look for a long time...there are a few units of this lens at 'bay...

One shoot with my 44-3, wide open, closest focus:

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a great image Chiti. I love it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has 44-3 screw rear lens element like mc 44m-4 ? I want adapt this to nikon and remove a few mm like in my mc44m-4
Like:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late to answer i already purchased 44-3 mc and
i am waiting for the delivery Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came on my own 44-3 Smile may not be ultra-sharp but seems to be more than ok with no problem and work on infinity with nikon
after turning back the rear group lens Smile