Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Inferior lens - tests prove it
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Inferior lens - tests prove it Reply with quote

The 90mm lens used for this picture was designed in 1963 and has since been replaced by its maker with three successively improved designs. According to one reviewer (who is seemingly regarded internationally as an authority on the technology of lens designs) this version suffers from low contrast and a relatively inferior standard of definition. More recent competing designs from two other makers delivered higher standards of performance when tested, one at a very much lower cost.

Aperture f5.6, distance just over 1 metre. This image about 3/4 of original frame. From raw image, with slight sharpening.

Forum members should be able to work out the identities of the lens maker and the reviewer, I think. No prizes for getting it right though - !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from your hints I would guess Leitz and Puts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: inferior lens Reply with quote

dof wrote:
Elmar?

Close!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Inferior lens Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Just from your hints I would guess Leitz and Puts.

10 out of 10 - sorry there's no prize !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Inferior lens Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
10 out of 10 - sorry there's no prize !

Not even a battered old Elmar?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmarit?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Inferior lens Reply with quote

dof wrote:
Elmarit?

So close this time! It's a chrome Canadian 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit, one of the first ones. They changed the coatings after a fairly short time and issued it in black finish.

I ordered one as soon as it was announced, mainly because they came into the UK free of import-duty under the old "Commonwealth Preferences" trade scheme - and because I was working for a Leica dealer I got it at trade price - which was just £37, or about $125 at the then exchange rate. A German 90mm Elmarit (the 'long' one) was over twice the price. Today a 90/2.5 Summarit is about £800 retail here, or $1400 at current rates! Seems a fantastic difference until we factor in general inflation for the UK - and then my Tele Elmarit works out at over £1,100 equivalent price ... and my M2 at over £2,800 at trade price - so maybe the M8 is quite a bargain!