Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manfrotto 055PROB tripod question for Jesito
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Manfrotto 055PROB tripod question for Jesito Reply with quote

Jesito,

I see you have an 055 listed in your signature - how do you find it for stability and general bendiness?

Reason I ask, is that I'm in two minds of whether to fit a more modern pan & tilt head to my old Slik 88 which looks a bit like a North Sea oil platform and weighs about the same, or getting the new Manfrotto 055 with the vertical/horizontal centre column which is a feature I would use.

In addition to my 35mm gear, I'd also be mounting medium format as well, so any user comments about the 055 would be handy. I'm a big guy so gear weight isn't an issue... Laughing

Thanks in advance.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Manfrotto 055PROB tripod question for Jesito Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Jesito,

I see you have an 055 listed in your signature - how do you find it for stability and general bendiness?

Reason I ask, is that I'm in two minds of whether to fit a more modern pan & tilt head to my old Slik 88 which looks a bit like a North Sea oil platform and weighs about the same, or getting the new Manfrotto 055 with the vertical/horizontal centre column which is a feature I would use.

In addition to my 35mm gear, I'd also be mounting medium format as well, so any user comments about the 055 would be handy. I'm a big guy so gear weight isn't an issue... Laughing

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Hi Bob!

My 055PROB is the old one, (not the new 055PROX). It's quite tall and weighty, I use it mainly for studio, but not for travelling. It got a head 141RC, sturdy and stable, but also not very fast to adjust and weighty as well. The good thing is when you go out with it, you can see other photographers next to you trying to fix theirs with additional weights on the column (i.e. in case of light wind) and mine is rock solid and does not move a millimeter. (I suppose it's like your oil platform Wink)
got a second one, a Starblitz one, cheap and light, but the head was a pain. I did a head replacement (serious surgery, I published it on a spanish forum not too long ago, unfortunately in Spanish,
http://www.canonistas.com/foros/showthread.php?t=39636
but pictures are universal Wink), and now I take it when I go out. I use also a monopode, not so stable but once you get the feeling, it's extremely useful and very light to carry.
With the 055PROB you can take out the central column and place it horizontally, the stability is good, but to be honest I've used it very little this way. To turn the column horizontally, in the old model you have to unscrew the bottom of the column, to fully take it out and to put again the column end in place. I believe the new one has a better way to move the column.
If you finally decide to go for a 055, be sure to look to the new model before taking a decission...
(I'm not sure if I've been of any help... Smile

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Jesito - there's a shop near me that may have the new 055 in stock so I'll try and check it out there.

My old Slik 88 never moves, not even in almost gale-force wind and this is the reason why I was thinking of fitting a better P&T head - I'm not really a fan of ball-heads. Only thing is that on quite a few occasions, I've felt the need for a horizontal column which the Slik can't provide.

If I can have a look at the 055 I'll be better placed to decide.

Thanks again

Bob