Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Epson vs VueScan - Epson 4490
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Epson vs VueScan - Epson 4490 Reply with quote

I did a compare - unscientific of course as these things can be tweaked - between the two scanner software packages. Epson's is far easier to use for me, but perhaps VueScan has a smidge of an edge in quality?

The negative is Neopan 100 developed in T-max. I scanned the negatives with wider latitude - i.e. with room to both ends of the negative's histogram. I then de-saturated and adjusted levels and curves on Photoshop CS2. With some work I suppose I could get the two scans more close ... but this serves as an example of the variations of scanning.

Though the images are desaturated, does one look bluer than the other?

VueScan:

Epson:

Histograms:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are completely desaturated, it's impossible that they look blue, unless your monitor is badly balanced.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't one look bluer and the other redder to you? Or am I gone round the bend again... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just verified your files in Photoshop. They are perfectly desaturated and all channels have equal value.
This means that if you are seeing colour shifts, it is either your monitor badly calibrated, or malfunctioning, or it is just your impression.

P.S. I have read that with LCD monitors, the viewing angle can influence the colour perception. Perhaps you are comparing the two pictures from different viewing angles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked yes, now I don't see it. Funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both pics are perfectly b&w on my lcd
I read that some pills make see everything blue Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because you desaturated instead of converting to greyscale. Could leaving the colour channels in place have any effect?