Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the best budget 50mm 1.4 lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: What's the best budget 50mm 1.4 lens? Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you saw my post on the Rikenon 50 1.4 lens I stumbled across, but it wet my appetite for a better 50mm 1.4 lens. I shoot with Canon and their AF 50mm 1.4 lens is not worth $350 IMO. I was hoping someone could tell me what is considered a top choice for a 50mm 1.4 prime. It can be 50 or 55 or even 58mm, but it has to be f1.4. Let's say max budget is about $100 on ebay or keh.com. Preferred mounts are M42, Nikon or OM.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Takumar?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asahi Super-Takumar 1.4/50
Olympus Zuiko 1.4/50

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the takumar have excellent reputation
what don't you like about your Canon 50:1.4, I don't have this lens but it seems most users are happy with it (when they cannot afford the 50:1.2)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Asahi Super-Takumar 1.4/50
Olympus Zuiko 1.4/50

I would say Super-Multi-Coated Takumar or SMC Takumar 1.4/50 and multicoated Olympus Zuiko 1.4/50 (preferrably the newest version with s/n starting with 1,000,000. They updated coatings of this lens once again after s/n 1,085,000, but this is supposed to be a minor improvement). Both lenses are well within a $100 budget (at least I paid much less than that, delivered).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the tak.
Yashica ML F1.4 (is there one)? Never did any testing against my SMC-A, but I have Yashinon F1.7 DX which is pretty good.
Chinon also has 55m F1.4 I believe, that should go cheap, dunno about quality though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC Takumars are kind of funny in the price they can fetch. Best price for the buyer is likely to be one attached to an old Spotmatic or other M42 mount Pentax SLR.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon 1.4/55mm can still be had for little enough - and they're a pretty good lens too. There's a Tomioka version, but to be honest, I can't see any differences between this version, and the 'normal' one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm only if you are lucky, I've seen many camera+lens combos being sold to almost the price of lens itself, granted its still the better deal, but
its a sought after lens, so hard to get a great bargain...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I keep a magnifying glass beside my monitor. There are many sellers who don't list details of the lens thinking the camera is the valuable item. So a quick look with the magnifying glass tells me whether it's worth placing a bid or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget the helios 44 series: lenses are very good and dirt cheap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piticu wrote:
don't forget the helios 44 series: lenses are very good and dirt cheap

But it is far from 1.4.
I vote for Olympus Zuiko.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon Tomioka (got it cheap <$50, S/H included) and Zuiko, both 1.4/50

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super Multi Coated Takumar 1,4/50 $ 38. Mint-.

I hope that it is good.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
My Super Multi Coated Takumar 1,4/50 $ 38. Mint-.

I hope that it is good.

Rino.

Another lucky guy~ yes, SMC Tak is good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Tak 1.4. I was amazed by the photos it produced the other day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
the takumar have excellent reputation
what don't you like about your Canon 50:1.4, I don't have this lens but it seems most users are happy with it (when they cannot afford the 50:1.2)

I don't have the Canon 50 1.4 currently and I don't have the $350 to put into it right now. I also am not impressed with the results I see from the lens at f1.4-2. I also had the Canon 50 1.8 and it was a poor lens, honestly, and I get better results with my Helios-44 using MF. I really like the Helios, but I have decided I "need" an f/1.4 Smile

So it sounds like the SMC Takumar is the favorite. I owned a 55 1.8 Super Tak for a while and it was a fantastic lens, so I am not surprised. Is there really much difference between the SMC, Super-Multi-coated, and Super Takumars? I see all three versions and I assume the SMC has a better coating?

Thanks again for the advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the old Ricoh M42 1.4/55 that came with the TLS, which is easily found - in fact its even easier to find it as a Sears, as Sears sold a lot of the Ricoh product in the US.

I use it in preference to the S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50, it seems to give better results at 1.4. Or maybe my Takumar is not in good shape.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yet another vote for the S-M-C Takumar ( that was easy, it's my fav. lens, over 500 photos uploaded to a set dedicated to this lens on my flickr account in just over a year prove it )

difference of Super / S-M-C and SMC Takumar:

Super Tak and S-M-C Takumar share the same full metal body, the Super has less coating.
The SMC has Multi Coating but a rubberized Fokusring.

Do not expect the photos to look similar to those taken with the 55/1.8, at least my copies give very distinct results, the 50/1.4 is warmer, I specially like it for the overall 'ballanced' rendering incl. a smooth bokeh, if that makes any sense.

'Warmer' could be because of some yellowing of the class. Some get rid of it by exposing it to the sun ( some like the effect and prefer the Super Takumar because being older there is more chance of yellowing ).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Warmer' is not necessarily a bad thing. While it can certainly be corrected, sometimes I just like results like this (f/1.4):

It was sunset anyways Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 50/1.4 is also excellent. For a bargain, get one that is non-AI and
not too pretty. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
Nikkor 50/1.4 is also excellent. For a bargain, get one that is non-AI and
not too pretty. Very Happy

I vote for this also...
the Nikon is a GREAT lens... Cool

My non ai is very pretty... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for S-M-C 55/1.8 and S-M-C 50/1.4 paired. :p Two completly different lenses. I tend to only use the 50/1.4 for close up and portraits. I think the 55 is better for landscapes etc.

S-M-C 50/1.4

S-M-C 55/1.8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, fantastic portraits Zewrak, specially I like the second one, I should try out the 55/1.8 for portraits too!
The 50/1.4 is has it's soft side wide open, today 2 waitresses in a restaurant and because of little light I had to use f1.4 anyway:

later edit: thank you voytek!
actually they are better viewed bigger, see
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/3765677490/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/3764881551/sizes/l/

Last edited by kuuan on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak, kuuan, your photos are very impressive.