Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Pentacon and CZJs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: My Pentacon and CZJs Reply with quote

So yesterday, I received my Pentacon Six TL I got on Ebay.de. Along with it came an MC Flek 50/4 and MC Biometar 80/2.8, metal lens hood for the Flek, TTL pentaprism, lens case for Flek, leather case for Pentacon Six, front and rear caps for both lenses, and the full length extension tube set.

Optics are superb, no scratches, fungus, haze, not even wipe marks, aperture blades functioning perfectly without any sign of oil (probably CLAd, see below); the camera body seems to be working perfectly, and the only thing I haven't been able to check yet is the light meter in the pentaprism, as the battery was dead, but I will be terribly surprised if it doesn't work.

All of this for 260€ + shipping, I think, was a pretty sweet deal.

One problem I noticed immediately; the Flek wouldn't focus on anything at all; immediately thought "CLA goof", and sure enough, I took out the rear element, and the second to last lens group was inserted reverse (the group just in front of the aperture blades). Easy fix, took out the front lens group, and reversed the problematic group. Focuses perfectly now.

Took the Flek around with me and shot some pics on my Pentax K20D. I can't believe it, holy cow, the images are great. Part of it I guess has to do with the fact that on an APS-C sensor, I'm really only using the sweetest of the sweetspot in the Flek's image circle. So the picture is sharp edge to edge (so long as everything is in focus Wink, but also color rendition/contrast, three-dimensionality, everything really, is great. Such a beast of a lens, but I want to make it my walkaround lens for my K20D Smile

Just a few quick snap shots I took today:

I even like the bokeh, and it's an F4 lens!!!!

I can't wait to shoot some medium format with this lens. And that's going to happen real soon because I just loaded the Pentacon with one of the Fuji Color NPS 160 film I picked up recently for dirt cheap Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one is incredible Very Happy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super deal ! Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flek 50 is sharp even on 6x6 film. You'll be surprised by the results. It battles pretty well with the legenday CZ Distagon 50 for the Hassy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cilinderman wrote:
Last one is incredible Very Happy.

Yes, I was surprised myself! As you can see, it was a very quick snap shot (you know, cats are so restless, they never stay in one place!! Wink, and yet, the clarity and sharpness of this lens is fantastic!

@Attila

Thanks, I'm very happy about this deal! So much cheaper to buy these German equipment on Ebay.de, even taking into account the shipping fees. On US Ebay, this Flek by itself would have cost $250-$300US.

@A G Photography

That is great to hear!!! Oh I would just love to take shots that could be comparable to Hassy/Distagons.... all with a kit that cost me only 260€ Smile)))

It's a beautiful day today in Boston, I think I'm gonna go take a stroll later Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now just get a tilt or shift adapter for those lenses Smile

I'm not gonna lie...a package like you got is very tempting Confused Cool Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice P6 kit you got there. Cool

Welcome to the 'SLR on steroids' club - all you need now are the Biometar 120 and Sonnars 180 and 300. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan s wrote:
Now just get a tilt or shift adapter for those lenses Smile

I'm not gonna lie...a package like you got is very tempting Confused Cool Wink

bob955i wrote:
That's a nice P6 kit you got there. Cool

Welcome to the 'SLR on steroids' club - all you need now are the Biometar 120 and Sonnars 180 and 300. Laughing

Hmmmm, funny of you guys to mention that.... cuz I just got this the other day:

And I just won this on Ebay.de today:

Click here to see on Ebay.de

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Yeah, I'm going a little crazy. Anyway, I took the Pentacon out for some shooting today. Took 12 shots, left the other 12 for another day (I'll probably try out the Hartblei).

I must say, I'm really loving how the world looks inside the waist-level finder:

Apparently, so does my son Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's started... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bundle for not a lot of cash, relatively.
Leave some for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
It's started... Laughing

Sounds apocalyptic Laughing Is it all downhill (uphill?) from here? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Nice bundle for not a lot of cash, relatively.
Leave some for the rest of us.

It was a great bundle. My secret of late is to look for deals on Ebay.de that are (1) not listed on Ebay US (2) does not list Paypal as an accepted form of payment (although half the time, sellers are willing to as long as I pay the 3.9%) (3) does not list shipping to US as a possibility (but 70% of the time, sellers are willing to.... the other 30% are dumb Smile (4) but the sellers have great feedback percentages/counts.

I think (1) (2) and (3) each knock off about 10% from the final sales price from an equivalent listing on Ebay US, which is sweet.

So far I haven't been burned by anybody, although there's one item I bought 1 month ago (Feb. 22nd) that initially had problems with money wiring, and still has not arrived, although the seller claims it was shipped on Mar. 3rd. I'm a little worried about that, because that was a pretty expensive purchase (Icarex 35S TM + Ultron 50/1,8 ).

Besides that, I've been very happy with German sellers, and I've picked up a few German words along the way.

Did I mention I don't speak German at all? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I've bought a few things from .de and the sellers are (so far) quite happy to send to me. IBAN payments make it easy from here, as Paypal isn't all that big in Germany - many sellers preferring to stick with bank transfer, and PP having a terrible fraudster hole in it. If they get their payment by IBAN they know it's there permanently and can't be clawed back. Somewhat deliciously, it's often cheaper to post from Germany to Ireland than it is from the UK.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
bob955i wrote:
It's started... Laughing

Sounds apocalyptic Laughing Is it all downhill (uphill?) from here? Laughing

It's both apocalyptic and downhill all the way for your bank balance and will be an uphill struggle once you see what other nice P6 goodies are out there to tempt you. Laughing

Like the Arsat/Zodiak 3.5/30 fishy, CZJ Biometar 2.8/120 and Sonnar 4/300...

Resistance is futile... Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Like the Arsat/Zodiak 3.5/30 fishy, CZJ Biometar 2.8/120 and Sonnar 4/300...

Resistance is futile... Wink Laughing

Yeah, well, I think I gave up resisting a while ago :-DDD

I already have an Arsat 30/3.5 on order, as well as an Arsat 55mm/4,5 shift lens, which is supposed to be the sharpest Arsat lens, like, evah.

I'm sorta kinda talking to the guy I bought the Hartblei from about his Sonnar 300/4 (perhaps if I can sell my Pentacon 300/4 for a decent price Wink.

I've owned a Volna-3 and a Mir-26B (both have been sent away, but I kind of regret that about the Mir-26B).

So I guess the only ones that aren't currently on my immediate radar screen are the Biometar 120mm, and some of those Vega lenses (90 and 120?).

Regarding my bank account, of which there is really little to nothing in it, I have a loose verbal agreement with the wife that whatever equipment I purchase, I need to finance it through this avocation, so I do a little peddling here and a little peddling there, and have so far been able to balance the checkbook.

Which is quite amazing if I sit down and think about it, because in the last 4-5 months I've accumulated around 8-9K USD worth of optical equipment (I also dabble in astronomy and I've recently purchased 2 scopes Smile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet buys RH!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Sweet buys RH!

Thanks! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:

Regarding my bank account, of which there is really little to nothing in it, I have a loose verbal agreement with the wife that whatever equipment I purchase, I need to finance it through this avocation, so I do a little peddling here and a little peddling there, and have so far been able to balance the checkbook.

Which is quite amazing if I sit down and think about it, because in the last 4-5 months I've accumulated around 8-9K USD worth of optical equipment (I also dabble in astronomy and I've recently purchased 2 scopes Smile.

I usually point out that, in common with many other blokes, I could be pissing it all away down the pub, if she really wanted me to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I usually point out that, in common with many other blokes, I could be pissing it all away down the pub, if she really wanted me to.

Good point. I'm lucky in that my wife actually understood this before I had to spell it out for her.

I don't drink (excessively), I don't gamble, I don't swap cars every 3 years... the only thing I spend a modest amount of money besides optics is computer gear, and these lenses depreciate even less than my Macinstoshes Very HappyD She understands pretty well that if something should happen, I could sell everything I have here and probably make a profit, just because I've been such a frugal Ebayer.

Anyway, I'm almost done shooting through my first roll of 220. In the mean time, I've fallen in love with the view through the waist-level finder, so I'm taking more pictures of that with my dSLR Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been toying with my Pentacon Six whenever I can; often times in conjunction with my self-developing endeavor I started about the same time as I got the P6, so I've been struggling with that whole thing as well Laughing

Anyway, just got back 3 rolls of film where I think for the first time I didn't goof around, in that I used "relatively" less expired film (i.e., expired in 2007 rather than 1997), and actually sent them off to a lab rather than taking a shot at self developing (which I'm getting good at, btw Smile

Here are a few shots.

Pentacon Six TL + CZJ Sonnar 180/2,8 + Fuji NPS160

CZJ MC Flektogon 50/4 + Kodak Portra 160NC

CZJ MC Biometar 80/2,8 + Fuji Pro400H (I think this film must've been really expired... all the pictures came back with wacko color tones).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did do some tilt photography the other day, so actually these efforts were my first "kind of serious" P6 shots:

The last one was a straight-up shot, no tilting. The first two were tilted full 8 degrees. All shots taken with

Pentacon Six TL + Hartblei TS-PC 45mm f3.5 + Fuji NPS160

Now, the TS-PC 45/3.5 is not a Super Rotator, and will not allow you to tilt the lens "up" to do these tilted fake miniature shots. So what did I do?

Simple. I attached the prism finder, and took the shots with the camera upside down LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing It worked pretty well, although I'll admit, the focal plane didn't go through exactly where I'd intended it to Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures ! I can't wait to use again P6 , congrats for your stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an amazing bargain, well done. You can easily pay $40 just for the shade for the 50mm flek - it's really hard to come by.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
I did do some tilt photography the other day, so actually these efforts were my first "kind of serious" P6 shots:

The last one was a straight-up shot, no tilting. The first two were tilted full 8 degrees. All shots taken with

Pentacon Six TL + Hartblei TS-PC 45mm f3.5 + Fuji NPS160

Now, the TS-PC 45/3.5 is not a Super Rotator, and will not allow you to tilt the lens "up" to do these tilted fake miniature shots. So what did I do?

Simple. I attached the prism finder, and took the shots with the camera upside down LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing It worked pretty well, although I'll admit, the focal plane didn't go through exactly where I'd intended it to Smile

Stunning shots~

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, for your comments Smile

I'm very hooked on the medium format now!! I hope to be able to afford a medium format digital back some day...