Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

2008 MFLF CALENDAR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: 2008 MFLF CALENDAR Reply with quote

So here we are for the Manual Focus Lenses Forum 2008 Calendar!
I have already announced it in the News section.
Here it goes now. I will post the rules here, too, and then I will open the sticky threads for each month.

RULES FOR SUBMITTING TO THREADS:

Please submit your candidates for a month as a reply to the already opened thread about that month. If a thread is not open, it means that the photos for that month are currently not yet accepted.
You can post a maximum of 10 candidates per month. You don't have to post them all (even only one is fine), and you don't have to post them all at once: you can post some and then others. In this case, please to not add other replies, edit your original reply instead.

For the other things, please see the rules message. Thank you.

Last edited by Orio on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:21 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MFLF 2008 CALENDAR

RULES TO PARTECIPATE

1) We will produce a calendar in PDF format, standard A4 size (or US equivalent), composed of 14 pictures, one per month plus front and back cover. The reason why we are going to have a back cover also is that I am superstitious and don't like the idea of having 13 pictures on the calendar Wink

2) The calendar does not want to be a "best of the best" thing. So we will not choose the 12 best pictures regardless. Instead, we have as a rule that we will represent 12 different photographers of our group. So one picture max. for each member will be chosen. An exception will be the covers: a photographer will be allowed to have been chosen for both a monthly picture and one cover (but not both covers).

3) This is how we will proceed. Every member with at least 10 messages posted on the forum can partecipate. For every month, each photographer is allowed to submit a maximum of 10 photographs. These will be eligible for both the month they are submitted for, and for a cover. Not both (i.e. if a photo has been chosen for a month, can not be chosen for the covers). The photos should ideally be somehow related to the month, although this is not mandatory. For instance, a good starting point would be to submit photos that have been taken in the month they are submitted for, whatever the subject. You don't have to submit a photo of a Santa Claus for December! It can be ANY subject (as long as not indecent). At the same time, it does not make much sense to present for December a photo of a blossoming tree, so please use some judgement when choosing your candidates.
Every month, I will open a new thread for you to post the links to your candidate pictures in. I will start now opening 4 threads, because we are a bit late. I will start with December, because we will have to make the calendar in the next December to be in time for January, so we have to pick the photos for December in the previous year.

4) The voting will proceed this way. When a month has ended, we will vote on the best photograph for the month. We will have no limitation, that is, a member whose photo has already been chosen for January, can also be chosen for, say, March. What will happen is that in next December, if a member has been chosen for, say, four photos, he will have to chose only one. The second in line will be chosen to replace it, and if he already has a photo too, it will be the third in line and so on, until we have 12 photos of 12 different photographers.
Also in December, the two photos for the covers will be chosen, amongst all submitted photos except for those already chosen for the months.

5) Any photo (film or digital) can be submitted. One requirement however is that the submitted photos are available in a large format (i.e. a minimum of 1600 pixels per side), because a high resolution will be required for the calendar. Also, you can 8and should) submit candidates with your copyright watermark on them, but the large format must be available without any copyright writing: we will apply the copyright information, plus the lens and camera information, using a font and size that will be common to the whole calendar, for aesthetical reason. Ah yes I was forgetting: you should have available the lens and camera information for every picture that you submit, as it will be printed.

6) Voting. The voting will happen this way: when voting for a month is open, a thread will be published. Votes will have to be posted in reply to that thread. Every person can vote up to 5 photos, with a ranking order. The photos will be given these points:

1st: 10 points
2nd: 6 points
3rd: 4 points
4th: 2 points
5th: 1 point

You can also vote for less than 5 photos, but remember, that if you vote for more than one photo, you must always give a ranking order. If you don't, then no points will be given. If you have voted only one photo, it will get the regular 10 points.
A member can not vote for his own photos.
The voting will last 7 full days since the date and time of the opening of the poll, and will be considered closed at exactly the same time, one week later.

7) There is no money prize to win, only the joy to take part to the common project! We will list all the partecipant members who has not been chosen for a month, on the last page, with a small size photo of their choice.

This is all, so go and pick your best candidates!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, good luck with the calendar competition. I think this is an excellent idea!

Can you tell me whether there is any rule about the aspect ratio of pictures submitted, e.g. 3:2, 4:3, square etc, or can you accept odd shapes?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio, good luck with the calendar competition. I think this is an excellent idea!

Can you tell me whether there is any rule about the aspect ratio of pictures submitted, e.g. 3:2, 4:3, square etc, or can you accept odd shapes?

I don't want to force art into vile costrictions such as measurements.

So please submit the photos that you value the best. If there is not an existing space for them, we will invent one.

This is my philosophy for the arts, guys.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun Orio.

Jules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest A3 size Smile