Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C Tak 3.5/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: S-M-C Tak 3.5/135 Reply with quote

I took this lens out today to give it a tryout and also my Sigma 17-70 AF which was going to be my main lens. It was still a bit hot for me so I wanted to travel light.

Despite the fact that I prefer wider focal lengths, I found I was wanting to use this lens wherever possible. Focus is quite easy for some reason, with more keepers from this lens than my Meyer or Pentacon 135s. It may be a little sharper than the `Bokeh Monsters' but I found that there is a bit of CA in high contrast situations.

Of my 135s, I find the Tak the best build and smoothest focus, the Meyer/Pentacons the most fun, but the hardest to nail focus and the Sonnar the best for image quality.

#1 F3.5

#2 F5.6

#3 F5.6

#4 F5.6

#5 F5.6

#6 F5.6

#7 F5.6

#8 F5.6

#9 F5.6

Photos edited in ACR (levels & sharpness).

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: S-M-C Tak 3.5/135 Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Of my 135s, I find the Tak the best build and smoothest focus, the Meyer/Pentacons the most fun, but the hardest to nail focus and the Sonnar the best for image quality.

You hit the nail right on the head here; I agree completely with your findings.

Of your shots, I like the first swan the most, followed by the seaside shot (the last one). Great depth there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first and last the best of the bunch... That is some nice OOF on the first one at 3.5. I dont remember mine doing that well. And I like the last shot. It is framed so well and the lines draw the eye into the scene.

I too have had the Pentax 135 3.5, it was one of the first lenses I bought. I never warmed to the 135 length or the minimum focus distance. But in the last six months I have used the Tair 11a and a Vivitar 135 2.8 and have grown to love the 135 length. (and the Tair)

Your post reminds me that now that 135 is a length I am comfortable with, I should pull out the Pentax and give it a run-thru...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135's in general are a collection of very fine lenses (must be to do with relative ease of optical design I imagine). It is a constant wonder to me how they all have very different characters.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sonnar might well be better, but this is a fine lense.

First and last for me.