Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A M42 1.5x tele-converter non-review ;)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: A M42 1.5x tele-converter non-review ;) Reply with quote

I got a Vivitar 1.5x TC for M42 today, brand new (well, "new") in it's box. I've not yet (and maybe newer will) put it through a rigorous testing regime, but I did take a few pictures with it and CZJ 135/3.5 today.

The converter itself is three elements in three groups, with multicoating. Price I paid was about ten euros + P&P.

I have Pentax K20D, a crop camera with high pixel density. The CZJ alone is a stunning lens on this camera, even wide open.

With the 1.5x TC the center area is sharp wide open. By 'center area' I mean maybe 85% of the frame. Shooting birds, perfectly acceptable, shooting landscapes, maybe not Wink Stopping down didn't do much - the center already was sharp, and got maybe a tiny bit sharper, and stopping down to f5.6 (well, f8 w/ the TC) still left the left/right edge a bit unsharp. I don't know if stopping down more would help as I don't really care if the left/right are razor sharp.

Interestingly, I am sure, my cheap four element Soviet 2x TC renders the edges quite a bit better - though, it of course is also a stop slower. The 1.5x seems to produce less CA though.

Anyhow, I am happy with the price/buck-ratio, especially since I really don't care about the left/right edges when shooting with TC. Easily recommended for a crop camera. I don't think I'd use it on full frame though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, which soviet TC do you have?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Out of curiosity, which soviet TC do you have?

It is MC KOHBEPTEP K-1.