Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Quality of AI & AIS Nikon Mount. Which one is better???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Quality of AI & AIS Nikon Mount. Which one is better??? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm looking for cheap lens but good performance. I prefer to use AI Nikon lense with D200 and FE2. But I'm not sure whether photo quality, contrast and etc. are better than lens AIS or not?

Do someone have any experience for this mount..
I'm looking for 28 mm f2.8. I found from website that AIS is the best lens but AI is not perform.
If you have some recommended lens, please advise.
Thanks..........................

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best of the 28's from nikon is the 28/2,8 AIS with focusing down to 0.2m. Unfortunately its reputation has made it quite expensive and they do not show very often on ebay. For a description of the models you canrely on, try Bjorn Rorslett:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week ago I have bought faulty Nikon EM with good Sigma Super Wide 24mm 2.8.
But I have not test it yet.
I heard that it is a sharp and quality lens for its price.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma's problem is usually erratic QC - I hope you got a good one. Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality of AI & AIS Nikon Mount. Which one is better Reply with quote

Pioneer wrote:
Hi

I'm looking for cheap lens but good performance. I prefer to use AI Nikon lense with D200 and FE2. But I'm not sure whether photo quality, contrast and etc. are better than lens AIS or not?

Do someone have any experience for this mount..
I'm looking for 28 mm f2.8. I found from website that AIS is the best lens but AI is not perform.
If you have some recommended lens, please advise.
Thanks..........................

Mostly the AI and AIS lenses have the same optical formula. AIS lenses have a linear relation between aperture lever movement and aperture opening, so (when a CPU is added) they can be controlled by the camera in A, S or P modes.

Sometimes there is a coating improvement for the AIS version. Sometimes the focus throw (the number of degrees that you turn the focus ring between infinity and closest focus) is reduced for AIS, which some people like and some (such as myself) do not.

In some cases, there was an optical redesign. The Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 was redesigned for AIS, and the result is much better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
The best of the 28's from nikon is the 28/2,8 AIS with focusing down to 0.2m. Unfortunately its reputation has made it quite expensive and they do not show very often on ebay. For a description of the models you canrely on, try Bjorn Rorslett:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Mine cost me 108 EUR (85.00 GBP at the time). I consider this good value for the optical performance (especially when crappy consumer zooms cost 3 to 500 euro).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good price Chris, especially if the condition was good. I watch them go for more than that quite regularly.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Good price Chris, especially if the condition was good. I watch them go for more than that quite regularly.

The optics are in excellent condition. The exterior finish is pretty good. The focus ring on mine is slightly looser than I would ideally like. The aperture ring is crisp. So yes, good condition.

Seems I was lucky that day Smile