Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[PRINT] Two new prints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: [PRINT] Two new prints Reply with quote

Two new prints I made tonight:

Printed on Ilford Multigrade RC IV paper
contrast at 2.0

Printed on Ilford Multigrade RC IV paper
contrast at 3.0

both images taken with Contax RX and Vario-Sonnar 35-70
film Kodak T-Max 400 developed in TMax developer

While the first print was scanned with reasonable faithfullness, the scan of the second picture is really disappointing.
The overall tones are there but where there was smooth skin gradation (like in the arm of the model), the scan created a dithering-like effect,
which I do not want, and I have no idea how to get rid of it. Images were scanned in RGB mode with 24 bit depth.

Speaking of B&W printing, I am amazed at how much difference one point in contrast can make with multigrade RC paper.
It can change completely the mood of a photograph. Much more (and better) than adjusting contrast on digital files.

Last edited by Orio on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them, Orio.
Very detailed pictures, (well composed as you use to do). It does surprise me the dynamic range you get with such wide scale of gray tones.
And also the sharpness in all the lines.
You've mastered the B&W really quick!

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh shades of another time Orio. I think the scanning technology still has a long way to go, as does the camera sensor technology. Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Jesito said: it's great to be remembered that film still has a larger dynamic range than the sensor in our DSLR's. Photos like yours make me want to go back to film (even though I haven't touched a film since 2002 or so). Great results, the first one I think has more shadow detail than my DSLR's can achieve.

Now let me please look which one of my Spotmatics has the most accurate shutter of the bunch (fortunately I have a shutter speed tester at home). Fortunately I also found my old, trusty Gossen Luna Pro meter yesterday Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks so sweet.

Nothing beats the joy of having a picture on print.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great results! black is beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop being so good at this Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict a price increase on second-hand enlargers ...

Nice work, Orio. Way to go !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Very Happy

I still have a lot to learn, the next session I will try some dodging and burning, at the course it was easy because there were friends to remove the red filter and start the timer, now I'll be on my own.
What makes me happy of this second session is that I have become better at predicting which result I will get with a given time and a given contrast. I wasted less paper for tests and I got the portrait picture right at the second tentative.

@ Jes: I think that if someone likes sharpness, they should try to make prints with a B&W condenser head. It really is the fiesta of detail, nothing to do with those blurry colour (or false B&W) that the labs deliver!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're really good... when I saw the first picture I thought 'Contax' for sure... the personality comes through strong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Orio. You certainly came to the front fast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them both, too, excellent duo! Cool I know it's gonna be tough, but
try to remember us little people on your way to the top! Wink Smile

Would love to see the *actual* prints!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're nearly hooked... Wink

Orio wrote:
.... because there were friends to remove the red filter and start the timer, now I'll be on my own.....

Have you thought about a foot switch? Frees up your hands!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres: foot switch, neat idea! But I don't want to mess with my old timer - new ones cost more than 100 Euros. Rolling Eyes

@ Bill: the actual prints, are better than what the scans show Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Like Jesito said: it's great to be remembered that film still has a larger dynamic range than the sensor in our DSLR's. Photos like yours make me want to go back to film (even though I haven't touched a film since 2002 or so). Great results, the first one I think has more shadow detail than my DSLR's can achieve.

Now let me please look which one of my Spotmatics has the most accurate shutter of the bunch (fortunately I have a shutter speed tester at home). Fortunately I also found my old, trusty Gossen Luna Pro meter yesterday Very Happy

Man, go ahead with film! Great fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Two new prints Reply with quote

The first one is very very good, quite detailled print. Amazing atmosphere for me. And you seem to have a cool camera as well.

i'm looking forward to do printings as well soon

great job on those Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: [PRINT] Two new prints Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

(.....)
While the first print was scanned with reasonable faithfullness, the scan of the second picture is really disappointing.
The overall tones are there but where there was smooth skin gradation
(like in the arm of the model), the scan created a dithering-like effect,
which I do not want, and I have no idea how to get rid of it. Images were
scanned in RGB mode with 24 bit depth.
(....)

this is common scanner problem - banding.
try to scan in grayscale 16 bit/channel (also in rgb) in hightest dpi you can.
Change the position of the image (good press to glass is important).
Clean the glass.
Try to use Photoshop TWAIN protocol (Main Manu-File-Import...).
Type in your favourite search maschin this terms: model name of your
scanner and " banding problem" or "ghost problem".
Certainly there is someone in the whole world who have the same problem. I'm sure.