Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[PRINT] My VERY first print :-)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: [PRINT] My VERY first print :-) Reply with quote

OK, I know this isn't anything special Smile
I made it in my very first day in the course's darkroom. I wasn't taught yet how to do dodging and burning, so it's only a "bare bone" print so to say. Yet it was very fun Smile And I believe, real B&W prints look nothing like computer conversions. They have a special "breath" to them - I don't know if scanning the print kills it though.

P.S. technical data:
Contax RX camera
Vario-Sonnar 35-70 lens
Kodak T-Max 400 film pushed to 800
Kodak T-Max developer
Ilford RC IV pearl paper

Last edited by Orio on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks fantastic!

I am still amazed of film ..!

Nice picture, by the way..

tf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i like the picture too

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A succesfull first print ! Nice picture too.

For dodge and burning, it helps to have 4 hands. Well, you could always ask for help to the young ladies Wink

You understand now why there are so many methods to try emulating B&W in digital ... There is more in BW prints than a simple color desature.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile

No more young ladies... the course is over Wink I'll have to develop a couple of extra arms myself Laughing Or ask for Monica's help.

Anyway, if I keep the timer on the left, near to the red filter location, and use long exposure times, it shouldn't be too difficult (I hope)...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Anyway, if I keep the timer on the left, near to the red filter location, and use long exposure times, it shouldn't be too difficult (I hope)...

With experience, I acquired a very good sense of timing until about 30 seconds by just counting. In fact, I never had a timer.

Long exposure, masks (a simple shape cut in cardboard and held with a metal wire) or hands for more complicated masking, and above all, practice.

All of this is good fun ... well, a bit for nerds but aren't we all ? (that's what the GF said when I told her my new external rangefinder was "cute" Laughing)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new addiction Very Happy I hope you never recover from it, and become a life-long addict Laughing

My first print was of tits. I was a trainee in a black and white lab. A guy came in and asked for dev only of the film, and insisted he have no prints. I developed the film and when I held it up to the light I could see big knockers Shocked

I told my boss and he screamed at me from the other room "THEN MAKE SOME FUCKING PRINTS YOU FOOL, BIG ONES!"

So my first print was 20x24 inch (51x61cm). At that size her "Tri-X tits" looked like sandpaper Laughing Laughing Laughing and my print was as over-exposed as she was Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Congratulations on your new addiction Very Happy I hope you never recover from it, and become a life-long addict Laughing

My first print was of tits. I was a trainee in a black and white lab. A guy came in and asked for dev only of the film, and insisted he have no prints. I developed the film and when I held it up to the light I could see big knockers Shocked

I told my boss and he screamed at me from the other room "THEN MAKE SOME FUCKING PRINTS YOU FOOL, BIG ONES!"

So my first print was 20x24 inch (51x61cm). At that size her "Tri-X tits" looked like sandpaper Laughing Laughing Laughing and my print was as over-exposed as she was Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well done Orio.... Your well on the way...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Orio. Your description of the "breath" puts me in mind of the early phases of digital sound - compared with vinyl they completely lacked the "airiness" "breathing" that we were used to. Interesting - your choice of description

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, it's very good. Keep on developing....and printing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Excellent first effort! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is something special about this print, even on a monitor and after scanning. Almost like the emulsion produces "denser" prints. Anyway, this is actually pretty fantastic!

Of course, you should get a frame around this first print and keep it as a wonderful reminder as you start out in film developing and printing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great ! go on like this ... if first print looks like this ... how will look the 2nd one or even your 1000th one Shocked

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My VERY first print :-) Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
OK, I know this isn't anything special Smile
I made it in my very first day in the course's darkroom. I wasn't taught yet how to do dodging and burning, so it's only a "bare bone" print so to say. Yet it was very fun Smile And I believe, real B&W prints look nothing like computer conversions. They have a special "breath" to them - I don't know if scanning the print kills it though.

P.S. technical data:
Contax RX camera
Vario-Sonnar 35-70 lens
Kodak T-Max 400 film pushed to 800
Kodak T-Max developer
Ilford RC IV pearl paper

Orio,
Do you visit APUG,com? It's a great place for fans of film. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My VERY first print :-) Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Orio,

I don't understand, if I go there:
http://www.apug.com
a site comes up that doesn't seem to have anything to do with film...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My VERY first print :-) Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Orio,

It's http://www.apug.org Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My VERY first print :-) Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Orio,

Sorry Orio, it should have been apug.org Embarassed

http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! Nice link.