Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji Reala - Anastasia, Connecticut
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Fuji Reala - Anastasia, Connecticut Reply with quote

I haven't had much of a chance to play with my new Canoscan 700f yet. Sorry for the delay. This was the first attempt at something. I'm not one for heavy PP so the images are pretty much untouched. An auto dust and scratch remover was used (some tiny spots remain - will work with those later).

Camera:Fujica st701 (meter broken - hand metered on GE selenium)
Lens: Mir 24m - Thanks again Andy!
Film: Fuji Superia 400

For some reason I can't get the same "feel" out of these scans. I imagine it was more the change in the lighting than anything else. I really like the first. How can I get the same out of the second two? I can't say I remember the f-stop numbers. It was all over the place that day and I don't usually distract myself with marking it down when I'm with someone (I was plenty distracted already that day Very Happy ).

Anyways, Enjoy! Harsh criticisms are openly accepted and very much encouraged!
~Marc

Last edited by themoleman342 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them, (try Portra) and if that's the new GF, you need to change
your avatar, pronto. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is great, others are good also but with a colour cast.
MIR-24 is a great lens, I'm sure you know that Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos ... apart from color cast, the lighting situation is different - in the last two she's under a shade with the full light world outside, the first one she's in the world. Probably a slight curves adjustment (in the old days we'd have either dodged, or printed for the skin and burned the world...)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrast looks heavy on #1 (on my monitor) and the other two could have handled fill flash. All nice shots

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Looking at a different monitor, the color cast is much more pronounced than I had seen on my laptop. Like I said these are strait out of the scanner, so a curve adjustment would be necessary. I'll do a re-post sometime soon.

Quote:
I like them, (try Portra) and if that's the new GF, you need to change
your avatar, pronto.

Laughing Maybe if she ever joins the forum. Luckily Anastasia understands that I'm not just keeping snapshots of my previous gf. The intent of the image was to create an artistic portrait (whether this was actually achieved is another issue entirely) and this is irregardless of the person in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc,
have you tried to remove the color cast (#2 &#3), setting the white balance manually?
Hope you don't mind (gently corrected):

themoleman342 wrote:

Laughing Maybe if she ever joins the forum. Luckily Anastasia understands that I'm not just keeping snapshots of my previous gf. The intent of the image was to create an artistic portrait (whether this was actually achieved is another issue entirely) and this is irregardless of the person in it.

Wow, I'm impressed! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind at all. Actually this is what I was looking for. Would you mind explaining what corrections you made and to what degree?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, Carlsson!

Marc, Marc, Marc, take it from someone who is a lot older than you, been
thru 3 marriages and a whole passel of GFs. She sounds very nice, but
women do not like to share memories of past romance, believe me this
will bite you on the ass later on. I would quickly change out your av with
one of Anastasia (luv the name). In the interim, take this one down. The
life you save may be your own. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing special, just a one minute correction, have a look here, scroll a bit down, there are screen shots of the procedure:

http://forum.mflenses.com/by-the-beach-at-night-t12421.html

Just follow the procedure, as described, actually I did not pick the brightest spot, I decided to pick a nearly white spot in the shade for the white point, to get the color cast. See the picture below.
Just play a bit with the black point to, it helps to get the final wanted look, matching to the first image.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. Here is another quick shot which I tried to adjust white balance on. Did it work? Might be hard to judge because of the artificial light...

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes it's hard to judge, but for me this one works.
Great mood, it's a nice image.