Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-s auto 5,8cm F/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Nikkor-s auto 5,8cm F/1.4 Reply with quote

Nikkor-s auto 1:1.4 F=5,8cm, this was the very first nikon's f/1.4 SLR lens, came up with the legendary Nikon F SLR.
according to http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/f5814.html mine was made in 1962, its means 50-year old but still handsome in appearance.

this is the lens

let's see some samples taken with my nikon d60.
all picture taken at full aperture, straight out camera without PP at all.

thanks for stopping by Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images and your lens looks very nice too. It's in near mint condition. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos.

Does this lens require a modification to be mounted on modern day Nikon DSLRs?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
Nice images and your lens looks very nice too. It's in near mint condition. Laughing

thank you.
I am looking for this lens for a long time, and very happy to get it in good condition at a price quite friendly compared to ebay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
Very nice photos.

this is NON-AI lens for use with the original Nikon F mount, on digital only works with entry level Nikon's DSLR such as d5200, d3200, d60, d40 etc.
samples above taken with my nikon D60 and doesn't need to be modified.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kopi234 wrote:
bruzzo wrote:
Very nice photos.

this is NON-AI lens for use with the original Nikon F mount, on digital only works with entry level Nikon's DSLR such as d5200, d3200, d60, d40 etc.
samples above taken with my nikon D60 and doesn't need to be modified.

Yes I know. I have two Non-AI lenses and use both on my D3200. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking lens, congrats, I have the matching Nikkor-S 35/2.8, its a nice sharp lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all nikkor's 1,4 normal lenses, the 58 mm lens is a very good one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I like most 55-58mm lenses over the later 50's, I'm guessing it has to do with the extra formula tweaking to get the mirror clearance that alters the character that I like.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Like all nikkor's 1,4 normal lenses, the 58 mm lens is a very good one.

yup, for a 50-year old lens I got much more than expected.
the sharpness at the largest aperture is quite good as you can see in the eyes of the cat in the picture no. 2.
soon, i will test the chromatic aberration and lens flare.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
In general, I like most 55-58mm lenses over the later 50's, I'm guessing it has to do with the extra formula tweaking to get the mirror clearance that alters the character that I like.

I have no knowledge at all about the optical formula and the advantages and disadvantages, but you might be right.
According to http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/40/index.htm

“the focal length of 5.8cm represented a trade-off between the decline in performance caused by ensuring the necessary back focus and the need to set a focal length that still fell within the range that would allow the lens to be termed a standard lens”

there explained that this lens was typical of the early Gauss-type lenses, in order to increase back focus, as required by a single-lens reflex camera, the lens designers decided to make the focal length 8mm longer and with a convex lens added at the front group was effective in correcting spherical aberration and minimize chromatic aberration.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using window light and black paper as background @F/8 with no PP applied