Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Loose slipping focusing ring on Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Loose slipping focusing ring on Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 preset Reply with quote

Hi,

this is my first post. i got this lens from ebay and of course the auction does not mention the focus ring slips. this is the original macro-takumar 1:1, NOT the super takumar. it is so loose that you can just keep turning it and once it goes all the way around, it catches again.

i've read through a bunch of posts here and it seems that all that needs to happen is to tighten some screws on the focusing ring. Does this sound right? How do i access these screws. On this lens, the front element is deeply recessed, so i'm not sure if taking the name plate off will help at all, but i have no idea. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Here's a link to the lens im talking about

http://whitemetal.com/pentax/mt_50_40/index.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the top right photo in the second set in your linked page, it's a close up of the focus ring. You'll see a screw, and there are others around the ring. Try tightening these. No need to open up the lens, unless this tightening does not work.

I presume when you are turning the ring there's little if any actual focusing going on? I.e. it is the ring that's slipping, and not the focus mechanism itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi nesster!

its nice to see the same people on mf forums and pentaxforums.com Smile

yes i too just noticed these screws in the pictures, and came to the same conclusion. hopefully that is all that is needed.

yes the focus ring is slipping, the actually movement of the lens is fine, when the ring does catch.

should i set the focus to the infinity mark with the lens in its infinity position, or the opposite end? (totally extended, but no focal marks to know where to put the line up the ring and distance?)

thanks for your help. i'll post tonite if this works or not...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will tightening these screws also solve the problem that the focus ring does not stop at infinity and at minimum focusing distance? The ring just keeps going around.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that it should. Think of it: the focusing mechanism itself stops, but as the ring's loose, it keeps on going. Once the ring's tight with the mechanism, it can't keep on going.

I'm wondering, are the screws meant to be friction tight or are there holes in the underneath? To figure that out, you'd have to remove at least one, then turn the ring with a light shining into the screw hole, to see if it passes a screw-hole underneath. If so, that's where you tighten the screws. If it's all metal underneath, no hole, then it is a friction tight fit.

Nice to see you here too- I thought I recognized you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked like a charm Very Happy .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! now let's get some pics from it Smile

Rolling Eyes today I ended up with a beat up Nikkor Micro 50/3.5, and a non Ai extension tube for it. It was cheap. What a beautiful lens, so smooth to focus, so well made. Took it to Manhattan for the day... I'm in danger of becoming a Nikonian Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens is fantastic Very Happy. sorry for the obligatory pollen shot, but its just so crazy....