Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: bokeh Reply with quote

I am down to 3 options, for a 135mm lens.

- CZJ Sonnar - 6 blades
- Jupiter 37A - I believe 12 blades
- Meyer 135/2.8 - 15 blades

everyone seems to rave about how sharp the CZJ model is, but what about smooth bokeh? And is the trade off for smoother bokeh in the Jupiter and Meyer versions, worth it?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I don't think you'd go wrong with a good copy of any of those lenses, they're all well-respected Smile If you're patient over a year or two you could collect all 3 for a reasonable price, but of course that way lies madness.

Bokeh is so subjective, here's a sample of the 135/4 CZJ Sonnar, Exakta mount, probably at f/8 or so. The background on the right is snow-dappled trees with a bit of sky poking through.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter is the same lens as the CZJ Sonnar 135 3.5, it is all about the good copy of the lens, but I think they all are quite nice. And yes the bokeh is much better with more blades if you shoot at closed aperture. The best 135 for the money is the Pentacon/Meyer 135 2.8 Preset. It is 2.8, very sharp and with nice performance in everything. The Jupiter 37/37A/37A MC is the most compact one!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i have both Pentacon Auto MC 135mm f2.8 and Jupiter-37A 135mm f3.5, but the Russian lens is amazing. I both a beautiful copy, like new for 30 euro. I love the bokeh, if it's closed it becomes like a flower petal.

Here are some images with my favourite Jupiter:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little time and all three lenses, so I made a little bokeh comparison. Don´t take this too serious. Smile

All shot at f/4. Full frame body.

1. Pentacon 135/2.8 pre-set, 15 blades

2. MC-Jupiter-37A 135/3.5, 12 blades

3. CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5, 6 blades

4. Pentacon 135/2.8 pre-set, 15 blades

5. MC-Jupiter-37A 135/3.5, 12 blades

6. CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5, 6 blades

The number of blades doesn´t seem to make a big difference, eh?

The CZJ Sonnar is in M42 mount and with my Nikon I have to use an adapter with optical glass, which acts like a mild teleconverter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
The number of blades doesn´t seem to make a big difference, eh?

differences will be visible when stopped down, as many blades will result in round or near round, little blades in cornered oof highlights

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind update the sample photos with f-stop as well? Thanks.

I also like the smc takumar 135/2.5, and use mostly at f5.6 or f8. It has buttery bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:

I like that wine, good choice.
As for the blades, I agree: number of blades can be important in some cases, but the assumption more blades = smooth bokeh is not so correct.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Would you mind update the sample photos with f-stop as well? Thanks.

Well, I mentioned, that they were all at f/4. Or do You mean, that I should shoot them at diiferent f-stops?

Quote:
I like that wine, good choice.

Actually I got the bottle as a present, haven´t tasted it yet. Smile