Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

nikon 75-150
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: nikon 75-150 Reply with quote

hi all, im a recent lurker but just signed up, i wanted to post a couple pics with my nikon 75-150 on my canon 60d, the live view really helps out with sharp focusing
i love this lens so much

http://500px.com/photo/4978864

not sure if im allowed to cut n paste links

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, im a recent lurker but just signed up, i wanted to post a couple pics with my nikon 75-150 on my canon 60d, the live view really helps out with sharp focusing
i love this lens so much

http://500px.com/photo/4978864

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres another

http://500px.com/photo/4656085

heartily recommend this lens even with its horrific zoom creep Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one of the first MF lenses that I bought. Soon afterwards, everything went wrong Evil or Very Mad
I don't use it often; I prefer primes to do MF work. Nonetheless, I won't sell it. It's a very good one: OK sharpness, OK bokeh and very light. According to bythom, Galen used for some time nothing else but a 20mm and this zoom lens while outdoors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this Nikon is the same lens as has appeared in other brands, not made by Nikon, supplied to them by another maker, i did read who made it once, I think Kiron.

Anyways, I have two 70-150mm zooms, one Soligor, one Konica, both are very good for an old zoom.

I think this means the 70-150 design is easy to produce to a good level of quality.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think this Nikon is the same lens as has appeared in other brands, not made by Nikon, supplied to them by another maker, i did read who made it once, I think Kiron.

If memory serves, the Nikkor was one of three iterations of the the same design, the others being the Kiron 70-150 f/4 and Vivitar 70-150 f/3.8 but all made by Kiron.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

If memory serves, the Nikkor was one of three iterations of the the same design, the others being the Kiron 70-150 f/4 and Vivitar 70-150 f/3.8 but all made by Kiron.

I think you're right, I seem to recall the lens also appeared as a Yashica. I have a Soligor that may be this Kiron too, if not it's very similar.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for a short stretch; focus creep was a bit annoying but I remember it performing amazingly well at ~f/8. A real sleeper and a gem. The last versions of the Nikkor have improved coatings and I believe less creep. But for ~US$100 for a good copy, there's little to complain about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Soligor is really good for an old zoom at f8 too:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sold or am selling every zoom I've had except for the 75-150 and a Zoom Nikkor 25-50/4 Ais. Other than these two, I've given up on zooms and use primes. Of course, my wife uses only zooms, so there are two modern zooms in the house for her.

I was quite impressed with the 75-150, and I did a little research. So, I'll confirm:

Yes, for a while, Galen Rowell carried nothing but a 75-150 and a Nikkor 20/4 Ai. But, he only carried the 75-150 for a limited time. Most of the time he carried a telephoto zoom, he preferred an 80-200 in various iterations--when hiking mountains, the lighter, the better.