Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Colors: Fujinon 200/4.5 EBC M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Colors: Fujinon 200/4.5 EBC M42 Reply with quote

Recent purchase that I finally got out and used...Nice little prime lens. Vibrant colors from the makers of Velvia. Not especially well built, but does have a unique 2 piece built-in hood.

I don't like using the Fujinon lenses with my G1 adapter because when I tighten the lens it makes the aperture hard to turn. I think that's a flaw of the lens design. I hope they would work better on their native Fujica cameras.

Wide Open:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to hone off a very small protrusion on the aperture control ring towards the rear of the lens. This is only needed for open-aperture metering with Fujica ST cameras. On all other cameras or camera adapters it will block the free movement of the ACR. Without it, you'll have all benefits of a normal M42 lens.

The EBC Fujinon 200mm is one of my favorite Fujinon lenses because you can use it at its maximum aperture in full quality. That statement held true when I used this lens in film photography and it remains true in digital photography. The glass elements are relatively small for a 200mm lens (filter diameter 49mm) and I have had 200mm lenses that weighed quite a lot more. I can detect no or almost no CA in digital shots with this lens. Although it is long, it is light, in a solid metal tube and comes with double-length retractable lens shade.

The following freehand shot of a heron was taken at f=4.5 without a tripod, no PP, although this is a downsized crop from the center of the original, taken with a Canon 500D on a rainy, cloudy day. Please note the many different shades of green. EBC Fujinon lenses arguably have the best green rendering of any lenses that I had a chance to test. Both Canon and Nikon will not be as faithful in rendering green colors as Fujinon lenses are.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
EBC Fujinon lenses arguably have the best green rendering of any lenses that I had a chance to test. Both Canon and Nikon will not be as faithful in rendering green colors as Fujinon lenses are.

I agree.
I tested some 50/1,4 lenses, including EBC fujinon, FD Canon ssc, pentax smc m, CZ HFT Planar
EBC has best green color.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinonuser and Iaza, thank you for the replies. Love the photo of the heron! I see the protrusion that you are talking about. Its very small, but yes, it must affect how the ACR turns. Thank you for the insight. I dont seem to have this problem on other lenses. I think its just the way the Fuijinons are made.

I've been able to collect a few Fujinons. I don't like the 50/1.4 EBC as much, just not as stellar as some of the other Fujinons. My other Fujinon is the 55 Macro which I adore. It has the about the best bokeh and I'm willing to put up with alot with that lens for the fine results it gives!

Now that spring is coming here, I'm going to give these EBC lenses a workout to see this nice green that you mention.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonedes wrote:

I've been able to collect a few Fujinons. I don't like the 50/1.4 EBC as much, just not as stellar as some of the other Fujinons.

Funny, I have most of the M42 EBC Fujinon primes and the 50mm f/1.4 is my favourite… Which makes it one of my favourite lenses overall as well, I like the images better than, e.g., S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
stonedes wrote:

I've been able to collect a few Fujinons. I don't like the 50/1.4 EBC as much, just not as stellar as some of the other Fujinons.

Funny, I have most of the M42 EBC Fujinon primes and the 50mm f/1.4 is my favourite… Which makes it one of my favourite lenses overall as well, I like the images better than, e.g., S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4.

Arkku, isn't lens preference a funny thing? In the short tryout I gave it, I just could not see the results with the Fujinon 50 that I saw with the SMC Tak or the 8 element Super Tak (2 lenses with very different character, btw). I might even prefer the Mamiya Sekor 55/1.4 over the Fuji in M42's.

However, I know that you know the Fujinons well and I am going to try the EBC 50 again before I sell it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonedes wrote:
Arkku wrote:
stonedes wrote:

Arkku, isn't lens preference a funny thing? In the short tryout I gave it, I just could not see the results with the Fujinon 50 that I saw with the SMC Tak or the 8 element Super Tak (2 lenses with very different character, btw). I might even prefer the Mamiya Sekor 55/1.4 over the Fuji in M42's.

However, I know that you know the Fujinons well and I am going to try the EBC 50 again before I sell it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

That is my general opinion as well using film......For my type of photography all I want from a lens is:- more chance to get "pop" and a pleasant back ground bokeh and very sharp stopped down (i.e. not worried about WO). Well there was nothing special in the results from a few shots I've seen using my 50mm, 100mm, 135mm and 200mm Fuji ebc lenses, but maybe I should use them more often? Well I would, but in my tests for resolution only (stopped down) I have slightly better lenses (and they are not expensive).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think colour rendering is the overall strong point of the Fujinon lenses; this may be hard to notice in tests but really hits you in sunny scenes with sunlit flora and such (unfortunately not easy to produce such shots right now in Finland). For the 50mm f/1.4 in particular, the bokeh is often not as smooth as with the S-M-C Takumar equivalent, which is why I also did not originally think so much of this lens, but I have actually grown to prefer the “painterly” character of the Fujinon's bokeh. But, yes, it's largely a matter of personal perference.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Stonedes The tiny protrusion on the aperture ring of Fujinon lenses will give you only trouble with the newer Fujinon lenses (EBC or non-EBC). The first Fujinon lenses issued from 1971 onwards featured a silver-color aperture ring and lack aperture coupling. Those early lenses are generally also very sharp.

I agree with your opinion about the Fujinon 55mm macro lens. There are some very good sample shots to be found elsewhere on MFlenses. I still keep a professional comparative test report from a German photo magazine where the Fujinon turned out better results than the Nikkor Micro lens.

Lens preference is a very subjective matter of opinion. I only had two Pentax Takumars (SMC and non-SMC) and I didn't personally like the creamy rendering of the lighter colors. White should remain white. Takumars may have a slightly higher resolution, but this may result in a softer appearance. The Fujinon colors are clear and contrasty with a full range of tonal grades. The latter you will notice when shooting a Kodak color chart in controlled lighting conditions.

Fujinon colors must be seen to be believed. I like the 1.8 / 55mm standard lens that surprises me time and again. The following shot was taken with this lens on a hot summer day in full sunshine which is a difficult lighting situation because of the high light temperature and abundant blue sky.

Please share some of your photos with your Fujinon Macro lens with us, as soon as there is enough light.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinonuser wrote:

Please share some of your photos with your Fujinon Macro lens with us, as soon as there is enough light.

Well, if you ask so politely Wink ... Here you go, although there are not really "macro" shots ...

EBC Fujinon Macro 55 f/3.5:
At f/5.6, on my 5DII (click on the pic, display the full res one, look at the eye of the parrot):

EBC Fujinon Macro 55 f3.5 - _MG_7522 by indianadinos, on Flickr

On my K10D (didn't note the f/stop):

Stepping out with a Fujinon - IMGP4406 by indianadinos, on Flickr

Fujinons are great not only in green rendering but also in red rendering, IMHO ...

Edit: Forgot to say, there was only minimal PP on these pics, just to adjust EV level ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. Isn't it a splendour and a glory?! Keep posting, if you like.