Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF 50mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF 50mm f/2 Reply with quote

This was Minolta's budget normal lens, which came as a set with the SRT100 (from Stephan's artaphot.ch website it appears that in Germany it was originally only available as part of a set with the SRT100.)

Internal construction, materials and finish, and tooling marks on the injection moulds for the name ring all suggest this is indeed a budget lens that had been subject to a production cost cutting exercise.

For those interested in the details there, I have posted a tear-down & CLA of the internals on the other forum here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-mc-rokkor-pf-50mm-f-2-near-complete-cla-t83567.html

As a budget 50mm f/2 lens of the MC-X ROKKOR line of Minolta lenses, how does it perform?

The below images were all shot on a SONY A7s.

The first thing I noticed on my copy, is that at f/2 and even f/2.8 there is a hint of spherical aberration remaining, which gives the image a bit of a veil over the micro-contrast. Nothing like a proper soft-focus lens, but enough to be easily noticeable when using a focus magnifier. The later MD-III 50mm f/2 is better in this respect.

Below is an image taken wide-open at f/2, with a 100% centre crop also shown:

100% centre crop:

I am not entirely convinced by the out-of-focus rendering of this lens; I have seen better from Minolta lenses.

At f/5.6, things improve and any hint of residual spherical aberration is gone:

And again a 100% centre crop:

Again at f/2 there is some evidence of residual astigmatism. A proper test chart would show this better I'm sure, but in the meantime the neartest footbridge over the local railway will have to do:

Stopping down to f/11 proves that, whilst a budget lens, it can be made to perform:

I was expecting this to be a low contrast lens, and whilst it certainly isn't up to the same level as the later MD-III 50mm f/2, it can still put in a decent effort.
In the image below shadows were lifted +10 in Photoshop CS6 Shadows/Highlights adjustment:

Based on my subjective impressions after this lens' first outing, the most "budget" aspect of this lens performance, compared to the regular Rokkor lenses, are the noticeable higher residual spherical and astigmatic aberrations when shooting wide-open, and the somewhat uneasy character of the bokeh/out-of-focus rendering.

Colour rendering is maybe a tad cooler than what I am used to from Minolta, but without doing a direct comparison under controlled conditions, that may just be my first impression.

Undeniable is that whilst mechanically still very robust, there are definitely signs of cost-cutting in both the materials used and tooling finish with this budget lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF 50mm f/2 Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
. . .
A proper test chart would show this better I'm sure, but in the meantime the neartest footbridge over the local railway will have to do...

Are you sure that walkway is stable? It appears to be listing to port! Surprised Wink

RokkorDoctor wrote:
. . . Undeniable is that whilst mechanically still very robust, there are definitely signs of cost-cutting in both the materials used and tooling finish with this budget lens.

Thanks for the review, Mark. I find your insights illuminating.

One of the pleasures of photography is that even the most humble of lenses can be rewarding to use - and repair. Smile
And those same lenses can produce delightful results. Especially if in capable hands!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF 50mm f/2 Reply with quote

55 wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
. . .
A proper test chart would show this better I'm sure, but in the meantime the neartest footbridge over the local railway will have to do...

Are you sure that walkway is stable? It appears to be listing to port! Surprised Wink

Trompe l'oeil. It is the angle of the sun and shadows that make it seem like it is listing, but it is level and secure. It is not too busy a railway line anyway; plenty of time to shake off the dust and vacate the tracks Wink

Some cheeky photographer (not me!) took a few small sections out of that metal mesh, so you can photograph the trains (there are some steam trains on this line on occasion).

55 wrote:
One of the pleasures of photography is that even the most humble of lenses can be rewarding to use - and repair. Smile
And those same lenses can produce delightful results. Especially if in capable hands!

I Like repairing stuff anyway. It retains value, preserves resources, preserves craftsmanship & knowledge, and shows respect for the craftsmen & workers who made the item.

But maybe that's me just being too sentimental and anti-consumerist Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF 50mm f/2 Reply with quote

55 wrote:

Two other "most humble" normal lenses I really like are the Nikkor 2/50mm and the MD-III 2/50mm.

The Nikkor changes from being rather soft at f2 to having a high contrast at f5.6. Unlike other such lenses its softness at f2 is rather pleasing, especially since there's not much astigmatism (meaning that the softness looks rather uniform over the entire image).

The MD-III 2/50mm has two main advantages over its faster cousins:
1) Incredibly low distortion (about 0.1%)
2) Less CAs, especially stopped down.

RokkorDoctor wrote:

I Like repairing stuff anyway. It retains value, preserves resources, preserves craftsmanship & knowledge, and shows respect for the craftsmen & workers who made the item.

... and it's fun!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF 50mm f/2 Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
... and it's fun!

Absolutely, as a hobby yes! Very Happy

As a profession however, if that week you get the seventh sample of the same model camera to repair for the same fault, i'm sure the fun wears off at some point.