Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik Domiplan 2.8/50 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optik Domiplan 2.8/50 M42 Reply with quote

I found this lens on ebay and was wondering what a fair price would be for the lens?

I do not have a single piece of Meyer in my collection so I thought I might give one a try. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten bucks max. It's not the lens that will warm you to Meyer Confused

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Graham - not the most endearing of Meyer lenses.

As a recent convert to Meyer lenses, and having acquired purely by chance the Trioplan 2.8/100 for shag-all (Irish speak for very little Wink), I think you'd be better off looking at the Oreston 1.8/50 instead.

Whilst it's still not necessarily an earth-shattering lens, it's streets ahead of the Domiplan, and is proof that you can get a fast-ish 50mm lens for not a lot of moolah (I sold my duplicate recently for €35.00), and have a lot of fun with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Domiplan and it's easily my worst lens. Think I paid like 2 USD for it, but I never use it.
I would recommend the Meyer Orestor 2.8/135. It has a fantastic out of focus rendition. Very good for portraits.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest lens from all, some copy can be good some don't.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need impressive Meyer lens try to get Zebra 135mm pre-set Pentacon.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orestor/Pentacon 100mm 2.8 is a nice Meyer lens too.
The Domiplan doesn't even have a A/M switch. Triplet that has to be stopped down seriously.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I guess i wont be bidding on this lens after all. Shocked

It's listed at 35.00 USD starting bid. I'll give it a pass and look up a few that have been suggested.

Thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$35??? That's outrageous

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
$35??? That's outrageous

patrickh

Well, I just added a Super-Takumar 55 1.8 to my collection for that price.

So if this Meyer is junk, then yes that starting bid of 35.00 is OUTRAGEOUS!

Sounds like my Chinon 50 1.9 is a much better lens than this Meyer. These can be had for 20.00.

Tough times my friend. I want the best I can get for my money.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be had for $20 with a camera thrown in as well. I scored mine with a Praktica TL and a Tokina 28/2.8 with a bent front rim for that price in Aussie dollars.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Sounds like my Chinon 50 1.9 is a much better lens than this Meyer. These can be had for 20.00.

Can't compare Domiplan with the Chinon. Chinons are really good lenses.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Can't compare Domiplan with the Chinon. Chinons are really good lenses.

This sounds like it's a true statement. I collect Chinon, so Im very familiar with the glass.

I never used the Meyer, so I can only go by hear-say. I think the 35.oo USD starting bid was much too high considering the feedback I received about this lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want my domiplan? It's yours for the price of shipping. I'm in CT. It is in great condition. I was planning on using it as a 100mm with a teleconverter (I had read simple lens designs, which obviously this is, with a simple teleconverter can offer fairly good results) but now that I have a dedicated 100mm I probably will not get around to it. I modified it using the cue-tip shaft procedure to make it a fully manual lens. It would be easy to rectify if you want the auto pin back in place.

I wouldn't form any opinions about meyer on it, but if you REALLY want to give it a try, its all yours!

~Marc

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have this lens. i got it with a camera for $20 Canadian.

here are a few photos taken with it.

i will send you a quick pm as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that in the early seventies Praktica's could be bought with 3 "kit"lenses
The cheapest with the Domiplan
Middle class with Jena T(essar) 50/2.8
Luxury version with Oreston or Pancolar 50/1.8

I had 2 Domiplans, came with some old gear i bought for other reasons, thrown away.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm this, I know Pancolar was only in highest league , but perhaps I am wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer-Optik Domiplan 2.8/50 M42 Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
I found this lens on ebay and was wondering what a fair price would be for the lens?

I do not have a single piece of Meyer in my collection so I thought I might give one a try. Smile

If you want a meyer/pentacon lens the 50/1.8 or the 135/2.8 presets are very good. I have both the meyer and pentacon 135s and they're pretty impressive. I've had a 50mm 1.8 but it had an oily blade issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got three Domiplans in Exakta mount and two of them are really not good lenses, but one of them performs quite decent.

A fair price for them is "shipping costs only" Wink

Kind regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I got three Domiplans in Exakta mount and two of them are really not good lenses, but one of them performs quite decent.

A fair price for them is "shipping costs only" Wink

Kind regards.

Jes.

Laughing Laughing My copy was decent performer also, I think on this cheap item they didn't make any QC.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342,

Thanks for shipping me the Meyer. It arrived safe and secure. I'll be giving it a quick test this weekend. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Tessar and Pancolar but Domiplan.
Pancolor is my faves in my all 50~58mm M42 lenses with superb color and bokeh. SMC Tak 50/1.4 is the fastest and sharpest.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domiplan is only for effects.
Better center sharpness than CZJ TESSSAR, but unsharp edges. Nice for portraits or close-ups with blurred surroundings.
Found this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/padiej/sets/72157605267804121/

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
I got Tessar and Pancolar but Domiplan.
Pancolor is my faves in my all 50~58mm M42 lenses with superb color and bokeh. SMC Tak 50/1.4 is the fastest and sharpest.

There are many great 50mm lenses. The Nikon 50mm 1.4 is my favorite, although I do like my Taks.