Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Three Nikon Primes - 24/2, 85/2, 105/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Three Nikon Primes - 24/2, 85/2, 105/2.5 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a chance to pick up the following Nikon primes:

24/2
85/2
105/2,5

All Ai (maybe AiS?) for around $130 each, which I think are pretty good prices, though not as good a deal as when I got my three Zuikos Wink

What I'm really going for is the 105/2,5, as I want to build up my 90-105mm range a bit (starting with the Apo-Lanthar 90/3.5), and the other two are kindasorta redundant with the Zuiko 85/2 and 21/2. I guess one thing I could do is try to use it on my K20D, but maybe I should just resell the other two to offset the costs.

My question is, for those of you who know these lenses (I know the 105/2.5 is good), what are your thoughts? Are they keepers despite my Zuikos? Should they be kept for my Pentax? Obviously, I should, and will, be testing these myself, but I would love some idea beforehand.

FYI, I do have a pretty good copy of the Jupiter-9 85/2. The only wideangle prime I have is the Zuiko 21/2; on the wide-ish side, I have the Flek 35/2.4 and Super-Tak 35/3.5, and for my Pentax, I have the lovely FA 31mm f1.8 Limited. For wider angles on my Pentax, I have the 12-24mm f4 and a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8.

Any input greatl appreciated!

Last edited by rawhead on Tue May 12, 2009 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always sell the other two (I may be interested myself in the 85/2) to offset part of the purchase price. $130 is a very nice deal for the three lenses!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Three Nikon Primes - 24/2, 85/2, 105/2.5 Reply with quote

Are they keepers... Are you serious?

The 105/2.5 alone is already well worth $130. It's capable of rendering more detail than any 35mm full frame sensor available now, so even if you own a $8000 D3x you'll find it outstandingly sharp (did I mention bokeh to kill for?).

EDIT: WHAT!? $130 for ALL THREE together!? Give me the phone number of the seller, please!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, sorry, bad wording. They're each around $130, not $130 for all three. THAT would've been an unbelievable deal (still not as good as the 3 Zuikos, though Laughing)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.0/85 might not be necessary, because you already have the Zuiko 2.0/85, but the 2.0/24 is a completely different game. Your Zuiko 2.0/21 will not interfere with the Nikkor 2.0/24.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The 2.0/85 might not be necessary, because you already have the Zuiko 2.0/85, but the 2.0/24 is a completely different game. Your Zuiko 2.0/21 will not interfere with the Nikkor 2.0/24.

Thanks for the input! Wow, 3mm makes that much difference? I knew a 28mm lens would be something else (he also has the 28/2, though, for a good $100 more), but not the 24.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are excellent to superb! You made a damn good deal.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Thanks for the input! Wow, 3mm makes that much difference? I knew a 28mm lens would be something else (he also has the 28/2, though, for a good $100 more), but not the 24.

In my eyes: yes. The 21mm is superwide on a full frame and still wide on a crop cam, the 24mm is very wide (but not superwide) on a full frame and a "reportage" wide angle on a crop cam. That's how I see it.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm 3mm a lot.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input; I will be checking them out in person (andl likely acquiring all three) in the next couple days, and will report here Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments on the 24/2 and the 105/2.5 are on the money - but the 85/2 is, IMHO, much better than its reputation. It has long been overshadowed by the 1.8 and 1.4 versions, but I really think it has a lot to offer, including better OOF than the 1.8. Try it out before you dump it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I'm home, and the three lenses are with me, and initially, I thought I'd just go ahead and sell the other two, especially since I've decided on another purchase today (a certain Tamron SP 90/2.5 Very Happy ). Then I did a quick'n'dirty 85mm shootoff, and man, I don't know... I may just have to keep the 85/2....

Nikon

J9

Zuiko

All shot at wide open (f2). Not surprisingly, the J-9 already shows softness, but the Nikon and Zuiko are hard to tell apart, till you see a closeup:

From left to right in the same order. As you can see, the Zuiko is purple fringing like mad, the Nikon is crystal clear. The resolution of the brick seems to be better with the Zuiko, but that may be just a focus issue (I don't have LiveView on my 5D and I used three different mount adapters for these three lenses, all of which tend to go just a tad over infinity, so I had to do my best guess).

Considering that the Nikon *could* be mounted on my K20D as well, I just may have to sell the Zuiko instead Very Happy

In the mean time, as much as I like the 24/2, I just can't justify keeping it; I will put it up in the Market Place later; it was in the best condition of the three I got today. If I can't find a taker, I'll put it up on Ebay. All in all, another good hunting day. Oh, yeah, of course, the 105/2.5 was just great. Even though it's got some scruffs cosmetically, and I can definitely hear something rattling inside Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats rawhead
what you see on the zuiko is blooming
it is a bayer sensor problem who appear in high contrast situation and not on film
it is the signature of the high resolution lens, don't mistake it with CA of the cheap zoom and usually located in the borders
if you use the lens in normal light or studio, you will not see this problem
the zuiko seems to have a better contrast & resolution than the nikkor in your sample

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Nikon Primes - 24/2, 85/2, 105/2.5 Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Hi,

I have a chance to pick up the following Nikon primes:

24/2
85/2
105/2,5

All Ai (maybe AiS?) for around $130 each, which I think are pretty good prices, though not as good a deal as when I got my three Zuikos Wink

Great price for the 24, average for the 85 and the 105.

rawhead wrote:
What I'm really going for is the 105/2,5, as I want to build up my 90-105mm range a bit (starting with the Apo-Lanthar 90/3.5), and the other two are kindasorta redundant with the Zuiko 85/2 and 21/2. I guess one thing I could do is try to use it on my K20D, but maybe I should just resell the other two to offset the costs.

Yes, everyone who shoots Nikon should have one.

rawhead wrote:
My question is, for those of you who know these lenses (I know the 105/2.5 is good), what are your thoughts? Are they keepers despite my Zuikos? Should they be kept for my Pentax? Obviously, I should, and will, be testing these myself, but I would love some idea beforehand.

The 85/2 is not as well regarded as the 1.4 (either AIS or the AF version) or indeed the 1.8.

The 24/2 on the other hand is very well regarded (and the price you mention is very good at current rates). I would certainly suggest testing it. And you should have no problem selling it on with some profit should you decide to do so.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris

I have the 1.8 and the 2 nikkors and I would be very hard pressed to give up either. As I said before, the OOF on the f2 is IMHO superior to the 1.8. Try a portrait and you will see the f2 is surprisingly "nice" and has a lot in common with the 1.4.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your input. I think I'm set on keeping the 85/2. I'll probably end up keeping the Zuiko, too, anyway, just because I like to think of the trio (21/2, 50/1.2, and 85/2) as a set. I'll probably just let go of the 24/2, which should offset a big chunk of the $400 I spent today. I took some shots, and will some more tomorrow, but I just can't think of a case where I'd be leaving my place thinking "Hmm, I should take the 24 instead of the 21 with me today".

Except, of course, I decide otherwise... I'm never good at it... I always end up keeping good lenses... (sigh)...

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Congrats on your superb good deal !

105 f2.5 is one of Nikon legendary lens which made into 1001 night tales ! I own one and the bokeh & sharpness blew me away. Laughing