Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Eeep! Amateur Photographer May 2009
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Eeep! Amateur Photographer May 2009 Reply with quote

I just picked up a copy of the above and there's a big manual focus article...we've been rumbled!! Laughing

The Takumar 105mm M42 got the thumbs up, even though they tested it on a Nikon with a glass adapter Shocked

Last edited by ManualFocus-G on Tue May 05, 2009 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having access to that magazine (not even sure if being sold in my side of the U.S.), could you please summarize the article other than the choice of the mentioned lens. As of now, prices had gone up and if the article was very positive, as you might have concluded already, bad for beginners like me Crying or Very sad .
gil

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Eeep! Amateur photgrapher May 2009 Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
I just picked up a copy of the above and there's a big manual focus article...we've been rumbled!! Laughing

Oh bugger Surprised

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
Not having access to that magazine (not even sure if being sold in my side of the U.S.), could you please summarize the article other than the choice of the mentioned lens. As of now, prices had gone up and if the article was very positive, as you might have concluded already, bad for beginners like me Crying or Very sad .
gil

OK, first off there's a £50.00 challenge...each journo went out and spent £50.00 on a used camera.

They came back with:

a) Rank Mamiya with 40mm lens (£45)
b) Zenit TTL (£5)

And had some good results!! I'm totally gonna take out some of my old Zenits now Laughing

There's an article about cheap medium format cameras and fairs and then a whole section on bargain used DSLRs and film cameras.

There's a two page spread on making your own darkroom (oooh must try it!) but it's pretty basic stuff.

Next, the dangerous article! Laughing "Breaking the rules" - adapting old lenses to digital SLRs. There's the Takumar article (hope AP don't mind me quoting a bit) "I am very impressed with the results...no significant vignetting, even on the full-frame D3. At f5.6 the lens is pin sharp and capable of resolving a lot of detail, but even wide open at f2.8, image quality is higher than I would expect from some kit lenses...out of focus areas are rendered with a gorgeous smoothness"

Next up a Leitz Summicon DR 50mm f2 is mounted to a Lumix G1: "This lens is simply gorgeous".

A Canon EF 135/2.8 is mounted to an Eos and the D300 gains an ai 50/1.4 and a pre-ai 35/2.

A 135/2.8 K mount Pentax is mounted via bellows to a Samsung GX20.

In summary "In fact, after seeing how well the Takumar 1-5/2.8 performs, I may start building a collection of M42 mount lenses"

Quick, burn them all Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Quick, burn them all Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Brilliant idea - here's some code I've just written to ward off the curious...

[insert into meta tag search system]Manual Lenses Are Evil - Burn Them All - Manual Lenses Are Evil[/insert into meta tag search system]

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastards! run for the hills! they have finally realized what we know! aaaaaaaaaaaaagh prices will go through the roof Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that all manual focus lenses have fungus which will give your camera pig flu! Twisted Evil

Seriously though, how many amateur photographers will really give it a go? I only picked up the mag because there was a headline on the front "Save a fortune" and I love saving a fortune Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been an occasional "poacher" on UK ebay, this is bad news.

Some things really are cheaper on ebay.uk

Or they were.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Eeep! Amateur Photographer May 2009 Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:

The Takumar 105mm M42 got the thumbs up, even though they tested it on a Nikon with a glass adapter Shocked

Well, the lens is good but...a glass adapter? Confused not fair for both camera and lens

Quote:
I only picked up the mag because there was a headline on the front "Save a fortune" and I love saving a fortune Laughing

who doesn't? Laughing

Anyway, you're right Shocked we must burn the evil mag all the way down to avoid this nasty news coming up to the AF crowd Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively we change the forum name to something innocuous like :

canonandnikonaflensesarethebestthingsinceslicedbreadandwhywouldanybodyintheirrightmindevenconsiderusingoldfungussysmellyquitepossiblyownedpreviouslybysomebodywhoisnowdeadlenses.com

Just a suggestion, like Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: UK Amateur Photographer mag Reply with quote

Must get my copy of "AP" asap, but most of this mag's articles are written by digi-geeks who work hard at giving the impression that their ignorance of anything pre-1999 using film is exceeded only by their inability to write for an intelligent audience. And as there's now no significant advertising revenue from dealers in secondhand equipment you can be pretty sure there'll be little sustained drum-banging in favour of resurrecting "old" lenses.

For those unfamiliar with the world's oldest weekly photographic journal, it runs an irregular column featuring "classic" fillm cameras which essentially concentrates on collecting rather than using them - the latest article featured the Argus C3 and its siblings. The mag's best contributor by a long, long way is Dr Geoffrey Crawley who writes most of the technical articles and does lens reviews. He's the man who invented the legendary Paterson "Acu" family of developers and wrote the searching 1970s reviews of the Nikon and Contarex systems.

MF forum members ought not to worry too much about the effects on eBay prices - AP regularly preaches on the Wickedness and Danger lurking there for the unwary (whcih I suppose is partly true!). UK site prices have been climbing steadily this year anyway, perhaps driven by competition from MF members themselves - !

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Shrek for the summary.
gil