Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Sonnar 3.5/135 problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Sonnar 3.5/135 problem Reply with quote

Hey,

my first MF lens was a Zeiss Sonnar 3.5/135. I heard great things about it and - understandably - was quite enthused when it arrived. It is also quite sharp so I could not complain.

Later though I stumbled across some hidden flaw which I still can not explain. The bokeh looks like crap! The lenses are clear, there are no scratches on them. So what is it?

My current guess is some inner element has a flaw or is possibly under strain. Any guesses?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it happen all the time or just under extreme circumstances such as this? I find a lot of my lenses that appear clean give this effect with very OFF highlight bokeh, it's normally tiny bits of dust that you can barely even see with the naked eye but get enlarged a lot in the bokeh.

The distortions towards the bottom could possible be over tensioning but the long thin piece and the orbs are certainly tiny pieces of debris IMO

I wouldn't worry about it if it only happens in rare circumstances and if it was a really fantastic photo I suppose you could clone it out in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dust is no problem. The long streak is in every reflection regardless of size. If you have 100s of bokeh-rings you also have 100 streaks across them. This is always present, except when taking images without unsharp highlights. Very irritating.

Another example:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the picture, but I agree that those streaks are a problem. I would check the rear element for something like oil streaks on the inside surface.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome picture!
+1 what Woodrim said.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked again, no signs of oil what so ever. A few dust grains between the lenses but that can not account for the streak.

Lens under stress or some micro-ridge in a lens are the possible explanations now left. Sigh.