Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto-Chinon 35/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Auto-Chinon 35/2.8 Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this lens? Found it at the shop today.

The weather's lousy today so no nice samples yet.

I also picked up a Yashica ML 50/1.4. Its got some minor fungus and the rear screws just want to strip, oh well. Should still work fine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon lenses can be a tough call, Mike. Chinon may have assembled lenses with elements bought from outside or bought whole lenses. They usually resemble other aftermarket lenses. This one looks like it may have come from Makina.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of Chinon glass. I find that most of the glass is decent, not the best bet yet very usable. Also the lenses can be had very cheap.

Price wise they are good user lenses.

A sample shot of my cat using a Chinon.

Last edited by spiralcity on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

How would you spot a Makina ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 28mm version of this lens. Seems to be a decent one. Probably going to get rid of it soon though, since it just sits unused most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Bill, How would you spot a Makina ?

That's a tough one Luis! Later Makinas had some pretty distinct and somewhat flashy graphics and gimmicks. Green lettering, "racing" stripes, "macro" capability. Back in the 70s, when I was working for a New Jersey based discount chain, we carried a line of lenses under a procession of names that all came in the same green boxes and all looked the same. My recollection is that they started as Hanimar and progressed through Makinon, Continental optics and perhaps even "Tamron F system"! The Makinon and Continental boxes said Makina Optical Co. on them.

This Chinon shows some similarities to the Continental 28mm we sold, we never sold a 35. The "left handed" focusing is another clue, though the lenses we sold "went both ways" depending on focal length!!

The left handed focusing may also indicate Asahi's Cosmicar subsidiary.

In the end, it's just a guess based on 35 year old memories...

Bill