Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need advice on distorted image Takumar SMC 28mm 3,5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Need advice on distorted image Takumar SMC 28mm 3,5 Reply with quote

Hi all,
I purchased a lens, which supposed to be in 100% OK shape.
On the outside it was indeed, but the images are really terrible!
No returning possibility ( Twisted Evil )...., so:

The glass seems absolutely clear and clean to me, also tried it on different camera's incl. a spotmatic, all the same...
When stopped down, it gets a bit better, but stays terrible.

I think there might be a lens inside mounted incorrectly?
Any other ideas?
Maybe someone has a glass-layout? Question

For any help on this I will be most grateful!
Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give to seller a negative feedback if he won't make refund , he sold a garbage to you. Don't care much about description, no return .... this is nasty and put him into buyer source on this forum. In title with seller id + Ebay , google will pickup within a few days and send to him this link.

Perhaps works and you get back your money , perhaps don't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loosy or twisted optical element.

But the effect is quite good, you would pay much more for a lens, which would be designed to create this Laughing Did you try it for portrait? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with no-X, and it could also be an element put back the wrong way round. Here's a small diagram, credit to www.whitemetal.com. Each group of elements is mounted in a separate section in front and behind the diaphragm, and both sections screw into the main body. I'd start by removing the engraved decal ring round the front element and checking the front group are tight and whether the second element is correct. The rear section is a little more complicated to get at due to the aperture dial. Good luck! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: bad SMC Takumar lens? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! You are GREAT!!!! Very Happy For helping me out here! Alway reliable!

Attilla: The purchase was in Holland, and not on Ebay, with it's credit-system. I just have mailed him with my complaint, and I am waiting his reply. If he rejects my claim, I will mail his name here! Evil or Very Mad

No-X: Thanks for the comment, you made me smile (really needed this now) Cool

Peterqd: Thanks for your opinion and diagram. I will start working on it right away! (cause I'd really wat to have it good)!

Kind regards to all! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it as it is. I find it really artistic. get a model into it and let us see a portrait. If not, remember whats wrong and make a diagram how to achieve it, since the 28mm i got isnt very good. :p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
Leave it as it is. I find it really artistic. get a model into it and let us see a portrait. If not, remember whats wrong and make a diagram how to achieve it, since the 28mm i got isnt very good. :p

I think this as an excellent idea , try for portraits and if found it works for you ask seller for half refund. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it on eBay

"Prototype lens with built in Photoshop filter"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
Sell it on eBay

"Prototype lens with built in Photoshop filter"

Yeah, throw in some marketing buzzwords and you're all set. Laughing

Now seriously, "no returns" doesn't normally mean no returns whatsoever. If the seller lies about the condition of the item, it should be refundable. If the seller is unsure of the working condition of the item or the description is not complete, then "no returns" CAN mean no returns even if it's not working, but if he says it works, it has to work! Imagine he sends a brick instead of a lens and then says "aah, no returns dude"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I agree with no-X, and it could also be an element put back the wrong way round. Here's a small diagram, credit to www.whitemetal.com. Each group of elements is mounted in a separate section in front and behind the diaphragm, and both sections screw into the main body. I'd start by removing the engraved decal ring round the front element and checking the front group are tight and whether the second element is correct. The rear section is a little more complicated to get at due to the aperture dial. Good luck! Smile

I think this is very good advice. I recall seeing photos from a fellow who intentionally put the rear element (or was it the front?) in backwards to get a similar result with a Helios 40-2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwsonline, if you don't want to fiddle around with the lens (and manage to send it back to the seller) then I have a 100% good example for you. I'm also in Holland, so...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Takumar 28mm advice Reply with quote

Thanks for all comments. I used the diagram and managed to start at the rear, because I noticed some minimal scratches on the rings there.

It turned out, that the 2 most rear elements where mounted the "wrong way round"
After the correction, I made new test shots, they looked like this:

It looks like I corrected it (or wrecked the amazing effect, depending on the reader), but I am more happy now. The seller Did in fact offer a refund, so I will not remain upset with him. So thanks to y' all, it came to a good end! Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that thing performs superbly!

Glad it found its way into capable hands Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That didn't take you long! Smile Looks like you got it back in proper condition again, great work by you and I'm glad I could help a little. I take it you didn't need to remove the aperture dial.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brass rings on the back of the lens were easy to remove. It is a nice construction if one knows how the optics have to be arranged , and indeed, the aperture assembly remained untouched. Thanks man! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! it was worth the effort to disassemble the lens ... I prefer the "after" version Wink

Most probably the guy who sold it to you spotted fungus before sending it.

I recently cleaned a 50mm Tak (fungus on both front and rear lenses) and it was fortunately quite easy to dismantle (and re-assemble, not always my forte Rolling Eyes). But is is also easy to invert elements.