Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just done my first lens repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Just done my first lens repair Reply with quote

So I bought a tamron 80-210 described as having dust from ebay user ferndowncamera (I hadn't read the feedback here at that point).

So the lens arrives and I find that the zoom grates and produces tiny shards of black material. There is a largish spec of grit inside the front elements and what looks like the beginnings of fungus - small round stains.

To be fair, ferndowncamera did offer a full refund. But since I had only paid 99p + £3 p&p I thought I may as well have a look at it.

Indeed it was quite easy to sort out. The mount edge of the zoom/grip (the trombone?) came off easily and a good blow out resulted in the trombone now moving smoothly.

The front elements also came out easily and I used a blower to remove the grip and then used lens cleaner to wipe away evidence of the fungus.

All put back together and it seems to be well. (apart from the small hair that I seem to have managed to drop into the barrel Embarassed I'll pop the front off again)

The trombone isn't perfectly smooth, but its comparable to other old lenses I've used so I'm happy with that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ferndowncamera" is a crook well-known in this forum. Check the thread on Buyer sources under the name of "rocky". It is very unlikely that you would have actually received the refund - he sells a lot of mislabeled junk

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to defend Rocky, but the one transaction I've had with him, he sent entirely the wrong item, refunded me in full, and told me to keep it without sending it back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way rocky works, he probably refused a refund to the person who should have received it, but did not. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

patrickh