Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using Software to Improve Medium format Image
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Using Software to Improve Medium format Image Reply with quote

This is an image I've shown before, but quite a while ago. This was a scan from the Pentax 645 transparency.

I wanted to bring out the shadows more, and found that my copy of Photoshop Elements has a "Fill Flash" feature that works quite nicely.

The original was basically near total black in the shadows, but the Fill Flash lightened those areas and brought out the ferns in the background shadows. I had to go very easy on the Fill Flash, as too much of it results in poor contrast.

The foreground is not rendered in black and white. The rocks are "new" deposits and thus are all gray in tone.

Scanned at 2400 dpi and 200 lpi with the Epson V700, resulting in a large file (about 85 megabytes). Downsized in "Save for Web".

So hopefully this will look better overall. The new scanning with the V700, rather than the previous 2450, brought out better detail in the leaves on the trees, but not significantly so.

Pentax 645
Vega 12b 90/2.8
Velvia @ f:11 and 1 second w/polarizer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A magic! Very , very nice! Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
A magic! Very , very nice! Thank you!

Thanks Attila! I know you are partial to medium format transparency scans, so I am looking up some old transparencies from the Yashica Mat and the Pentax 645. I'll get those set up for web next week.

The old Vega lens never fails to produce good colors.

This particular area holds a good memory for me. When I was 12-14 years old, I often would pack my sleeping bag and a small stove to the banks of the little creek you see, right up there in the green groundcover area. It was always nice to listen to the small creek gurgling along, and the more powerful rapids of the main river in the background.

It is a joy to see the salmon leaping up the little staircase to spawn in the small creek. It's always surprising that a 20 pound salmon or steelhead can even make headway in such a small creek, but they seem to be right at home.

In fact, I hope to get some images of the salmon or steelhead as they are leaping the little waterfalls.

This is where I sort of "cut my teeth" on learning the behaviors of elk, bears, and deer. It is a sustaining memory that keeps me in place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful composition, Larry!.
I haven't seen the original, but this is great.
So you feel there is not too much difference between both scanners?.
Kind regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you ever tried Lightzone? It's a very powerful package with a deceptively simple interface.. and enables one to do the kind of 'zone' photography beloved of our Ansel... It's re-lighting is amazing, and I would recommend trying it, and looking at some of the tutorials as I missed half the features before I did so!

Doug.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Wonderful composition, Larry!.
I haven't seen the original, but this is great.
So you feel there is not too much difference between both scanners?.
Kind regards.
Jes.

Thank you Jes! I have sent you an IM about scanner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Hi,

Have you ever tried Lightzone? It's a very powerful package with a deceptively simple interface.. and enables one to do the kind of 'zone' photography beloved of our Ansel... It's re-lighting is amazing, and I would recommend trying it, and looking at some of the tutorials as I missed half the features before I did so!

Doug.

I downloaded it once as a trial version, but never got around to using it. However, based on your suggestion to try it, I'll get it back on my hard drive and see what happens. Thanks Doug!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shoot. Lovely water flow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: marvelous Reply with quote

A marvelous photograph. Thank you for the tip as well. I have just bought the Epson V500 with Photoshop Elements 6. I will look for the fill-flash!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I've been able to improve the quality markedly since this shot was posted, so things are looking up!