Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Tak 50mm 1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: SMC Tak 50mm 1.4 Reply with quote

I'm bored while waiting for the m42 adapter to arrive. Can't test my helios-44m-6 without it. Since I'll get the m42 adapter I'm thinking about the Tak.

What is a good price for a SMC/S-M-C Tak 1.4/50?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about 75 euro you should be able to find one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kajiwara.weebly.com/formules-optiques-et-prix.html Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a minty S-M-C for 5gbp. Between 30 & 80gbp depending on state on the bay,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a Super-Tak 50/1.4 for US$53 shipped but I was maybe lucky. An SMC would probably have been more like US$75-85 plus shipping.

A good guide would be to look at whatever eBay versions you shop, and check COMPLETED LISTINGS for actual auction results.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother was staying with us a week or so ago and he mentioned that he'd got a Takumar 50 1.4, and I could have it because he no longer uses it.

But he lives in Nova Scotia, Canada Sad

The bonus is, it's attached to a Spotmatic and there's a 80-200ish zoom that he thinks is a Soligor fixed aperture, Laughing

I already have Air Canada's phone number.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all! ne1 has a SMC Tak 1.4/50 for sale? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
thank you all! ne1 has a SMC Tak 1.4/50 for sale? Wink

I did have mine up for sale but no interest. I've since discovered its charm so I'm not sure what to do with it now as I use it quite a bit.

I have to say that I think the Helios 44-2 is my favourite normal prime, but it won't work on my 5Dii.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won one today for USD$75.00

hope it's a good copy.

How does it compare to the the other budget (i.e. non-Z, non-L) 50mm lenses? OM, Rokkor, Nikkor and FD?

Thanx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tak 50 /1.4s are phenomenal !

I read somewhere that Pentax wanted to compete with Leica and Zeiss when they designed it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude163 wrote:
The Tak 50 /1.4s are phenomenal !

I read somewhere that Pentax wanted to compete with Leica and Zeiss when they designed it

The 7 elements St and SLC had the same design tan teh first summilux M 1,4/50

In R system, from the first summilux they were different design (similar to the second -1966- summilux M).

Sometimes, people do comparisons between ST or SMC 1,4/50 and Leica R summilux 1,4/50, an it isn´t correct. They are very different lenses.

When the ST 1,4/50 was born, ther were not any summilux R 1,4/50.

Rinoi.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always refer to this article!
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-11-24.shtml

Taks are special

Plus, read on here please:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-09-22.shtml
....But I've taken pictures that look just as wonderful with another, albeit completely forgotten aristocrat — the M42 screwmount Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4. This is one of my favorite lenses, in fact. Its results can be simply gorgeous. Of course, to use this lens you'll have to put up with using a Spotmatic, one of the greatest SLRs in history but long in the tooth today. An engineer at a Japanese camera company told me that if this lens were manufactured and marketed today, it would most likely have to sell for $1,200 to $1,500. I got mine for $60. (Well, okay, I actually have six of them, to be honest.)...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
An engineer at a Japanese camera company told me that if this lens were manufactured and marketed today, it would most likely have to sell for $1,200 to $1,500.

This leads me to wonder about a truism. Over on PentaxForums.Com, a typical newbie question is, "Should I spend lots of money on a new camera or on better lenses?" and the answer is usually something like, "Lenses are better investments. Digital cameras are obsolete after a few years; good lenses are usable over many decades; and good lenses don't lose so much value."

But here we see the SMC 50/1.4 that sold for ~US$300 in the 1970's (inflated to maybe $1200 now) only fetching <$80 on the current market. I know, I know -- supply and demand. LOTS of those Taks are up for sale now, a drug on the market.

And not justs Taks. In recent weeks I've bought a C/Y Yashica ML 50/1.4 for TEN BUCKS and a Sears-Tomioka 55/1.4 for TWO BUCKS! These were not cheap new. These would not be cheap to make now. And while many Taks demand premium prices, some of the best are still incredibly undervalued IMHO. Is a puzzlement...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Over on PentaxForums.Com, a typical newbie question is, "Should I spend lots of money on a new camera or on better lenses?" and the answer is usually something like, "Lenses are better investments. Digital cameras are obsolete after a few years; good lenses are usable over many decades; and good lenses don't lose so much value."

Yep, tell that to Canon FD owners Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
Yep, tell that to Canon FD owners Smile

In USA dialect we have a saying: "You can tell a Canon owner, but you can't tell him much." Heh heh.

Anyway, a couple years ago I inadvertently bought a batch-lot of Canon glass for US$9 each: FD 135/2.8, FD 135/3.5, FD 200/4 S.S.C., FD 24/2.8, FD 35-70/3.5-4.5, FD 50/1.4, FD 50/1.4 S.S.C. A couple months ago I sold them on eBay for an average of US$45 each. I am very happy. The new owners are probably very happy. The original owners probably suicided. Tsk.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens I bought is the S-M-C variant, serial no 5821154. I guess it might be yellow and must be cured. Where and how does one position the lens for the sun? Next to a window is ok? Rear-element up or Front element up? do I have to tilt the lens toward the sunlight?

Thanx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
The lens I bought is the S-M-C variant, serial no 5821154. I guess it might be yellow and must be cured. Where and how does one position the lens for the sun? Next to a window is ok? Rear-element up or Front element up? do I have to tilt the lens toward the sunlight?

I placed my SMC 55/2 on a windowsill with the rear element facing out. It took over a month to clear. I would tilt it toward the sun from time to time, but not crucial unless maybe you are in a hurry?

Some have used UV lights at close distances.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx