Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-H Auto 3.5/28
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-H Auto 3.5/28 Reply with quote

Hello. Does anyone has any experience with this lens? I didn't find any performance information on the net. How does it comare to other 28mm lens?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had AI lens worst from Nikkor..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 28mm Reply with quote

The later version with multi-coating (black filter ring - non-mc version has chrome) was quite a bit better than the earlier one - more contrast and a more "lively" image. Maybe not Nikon's best lens from the period, but actually quite usable and certainly worth buying if the price is reasonable. Many were converted to AI or AI-S configuration, but a really clean one in its original state will be attractive to a Nikon collector who's just starting. Better not to modify a mint one - plenty of scruffy ones out there !

The focusing movement is often (usually) rather "dry" and/or loose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit surprised to see this thread. I had thoughts about starting a thread on it as soon as I had some shots to publish.
I have had this lens for a while now. It came as a part of a package. But it's not until this weekend I had a chance to try it out.
I have the pre-AI Nikkor H and it has been AI converted.
Only 5 F-stops 3.5 - 16 and on my lens the focus ring is rather stiff.
From a mechanical point of view I think these old Nikkors makes a very solid impression.

My own very subjective opinion is that it's sharp enough and I can't see any CA to speak of. It doesn't seem to be sensitive to strong back light. Since I'm using it on a digital body I can't really judge the FX performance.

Some samples (also note our fine Easter weather):

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Nikkor H 28mm Reply with quote

Sven - lovely sky-and-water images, nothing lacking in technical or artistic quality there !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven, nice samples like this makes every lens to champion!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have AI-S version of the lens and it's amongst the sharpest lenses in my bag even wide open, no loss of contrast or sharpness... corners are a bit (just a bit) soft at F3.5

F3.5

F8

close-up (50cm away)
F3.5

F8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was Nikon's budget lens at this focal length. It was always reasonably priced and can be picked up today for very little money.

Lacking CRC it does not focs as close, nor are the close subject results as good, as the f/2.8 or f/2 28mm lenses. For medium and far distances its probably similar to the other Nikkors, just with a slower max aperture.

further information

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had this lens.

I used to have the 35mm f/2.8 Nippon Kogaku version and it was really ugly (something that I never said of any of my other Nikkor lenses)

For a moment when reading this thread I thought it was about the 2.8/35 instead of the 3.5/28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

Lacking CRC it does not focs as close, nor are the close subject results as good, as the f/2.8 or f/2 28mm lenses. For medium and far distances its probably similar to the other Nikkors, just with a slower max aperture.

my version focuses 30cm close, 2.8 version focuses to 20cm...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:

my version focuses 30cm close, 2.8 version focuses to 20cm...

Yes. And the Nikkor-H here focuses to 60cm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive Chris.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many reports on the internet say the 28 f3.5 is very good on digital cameras

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
My AI Nikkor 28/3.5 can get below 1' (.25M?)

12 inches is 0.3m. (multiply inches by 25.4 to get millimetres).