Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 M42 Reply with quote

It may not be the best lens ever, but I think the FF sensor of the Canon 5D is MUCH more forgiving to less sharp lenses. At least I liked this result (nothing fancy but there's a lot of detail):

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! Result is lot better than on my Olympus!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats the Kiron-made version of the 1970's.

Its better than the 21/3.8 T4 Tokina version.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Exactly! Result is lot better than on my Olympus!

And a lot better than on my Pentax K10D too. It's good to see what you can actually do with a 5D!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry,
taken at f5.6? f8?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iridium wrote:
sorry,
taken at f5.6? f8?

It was taken at f/8. I remember because I had it at f/8 constantly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
iridium wrote:
sorry,
taken at f5.6? f8?

It was taken at f/8. I remember because I had it at f/8 constantly.

thanks for info Smile

i tried a Vivitar 20mm f3.8 (made by kiron) and it is not sharp also at f8.
i didn't like it.

about you this lens is sharp at f8?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would be disappointed to see a 100% crop of this lens. What camera do you have? The problem is that the more you crop of the final image, the worse the result looks. On a FF camera the abberations are much less pronounced.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting example - now we need to see a similar shoy from, say, a 40D. This should highlight the impact of the 5

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Louis, better than the T4 21mm - though that lens also looks better on full frame film than on aps digital.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once made is comparison on my Pentax K20D. The 20mm Vivitar is compared with the Pentax kit lens. The 100% crops of the Vivitar looked horrible but I don't have them online.

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm @ 20mm f/8:

Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 @ f/8:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I once made is comparison on my Pentax K20D. The 20mm Vivitar is compared with the Pentax kit lens. The 100% crops of the Vivitar looked horrible but I don't have them online.

Can it be misfocussed vivitar?
Because I've faced this issue with my Nikkor 1.8/85, with proper focusing it gives great images on the center, wide open.
From this photos kit lens is cearly sharper than vivitar, no need to see 100% crops.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misfocused? I think I'm just too picky with regards to the sharpness of lenses. But I must admit that the Vivitar does extremely well on the Canon EOS 5D. I've once seen samples of a 18mm Sigma and the corners were horribly soft. Another one, made today:

Again, not bad for a lens I paid 15 euros for Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this lens!!! Not as great a deal as yours but it will be my first super-wide. Click here to see on Ebay

Seeing how the market has turned almost everything wider than 24mm into pure gold, I didn't think $73 including shipping was too big a loss.

I've always been told that scratches, even tiny ones, are a bigger problem with super-wides so seeing as this was seemingly mint, I am very happy.

On a side note: What I've always really hunted for was the mir 20m but the prices have been outrageous lately. Can anyone tell me how this will stack up against it? Thanks in advance.

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Marc! I think you'll find out it's not the best 20mm lens out there, but also not the worst either. With only a tiny bit of PP you can have very nice photos. At least I really like mine, and I'm known to be picky Smile

The alternative is to get yourself a 20mm Takumar or Flektogon, and these don't come cheap as you know...

By the way, in the early 90's I had the Mir-20M! But at that time I was more into collecting than in photography, mainly because the developing costs were steep way back then. Now in the digital age my photos are much cheaper (although I buy way too many lenses so it's certainly not cheaper now)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

On a side note: What I've always really hunted for was the mir 20m but the prices have been outrageous lately. Can anyone tell me how this will stack up against it? Thanks in advance.

~Marc

I was also hunting one lately but ebay is full of hunters Smile what generally makes the items in auction even more expensive than online shops.

I bought -after a very long search- from kremlinoptics for apr. 130 € with shippinp included from usa to germany.

The same Mir-20M is in any other european shop not cheaper than 150 € and those russien shops dont seem to be thrustworthy. On ebay is it even more expensive (~ 190 €)

I first wanted to buy a Flektogon 4 / 20 (Zebra) but the Mir-20M are said to have the same optical qualities.

Mine has not arrived yet. I can post some sample pictures if anybody is interested after i get it...

Last edited by mdogan83 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

We all look forward your posts! Please share with us your experience when you get them!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fantastic! Post them in a separate thread, so as to not shift the focus of this one. Sounds like you got a decent deal. Congrats!

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks...

for sure i will Smile