Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss HOODS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss HOODS Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

This morning I was searching in ebay the original metal hood for my Planar 1.7...

I discovered that some Zeiss models have the same metal hood, in this case the "Contax Metal Hood 4"

This hood is valid to Planar 50/1.4 and 1.7; 85/1.4, 100/2, 135/2, etc...

The "problem" of this hood is that it have a universal 86mm screw, and we need a adapter ring to the different filer sizes of the suported models for this hood.

I see the original adapter ring here:

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280325828093

It's a bit expensive for a simple ring, but it's the original model... Rolling Eyes

For other side, I see other adapter ring, valid for this "contax hood sistem" hehehe

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120310983140

This ring is too much cheap than the original, but it's not exactly the same ring.

The midle part of this imitation ring is completley flat, and the contax especific ring have a pronounced inclination .

Anyone have this hood model in yours CZ Planar?
What do you think... original ring o the imitation ring will works fine?

At this moment, the lens hood with the ring is a little expensive for mi 1.7, that it cost arround 120USD, however, in the future I want buy the Planar 85/1.4, and I will need only a 86/67 adapter ring... and I will have hood for the two lenses.

Thank you for your answers at the zeiss masters, hahaha

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood is hood even if not genuine especially on normal and tele lenses. Take any cheap ones what you can afford. Collapsible rubber hoods are very practical and going for next to nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer Wink

The truth is that a tipical petal hood cost arround 3USD en ebay... Laughing
and I only want evite the lens flare in the outdoor's portraits.

regards

PD. anyway, this hood will be in my hands if I buy the planar 85/1.4 Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have plenty of shades to chose.

Rubbers ones? There are some more longs, perhaps it can help.

Metal shades? More priced but they can avoid lenses damages (more usefull to that than the filter? for somebody, yes).

Plastic ones? Pentax did some very nice. I have one for 50 mm in 49 mm.
It's in hard plastic, it's a good protection too.

One suggestion that I never did: buy a lot of shades in differents types and diameters, someday you will need them. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the full set.
My feeling is that it is one of the best investments you can make.
Even for non-Contax lenses. The Step-up down ring brand does not matter much. If the threads work go for it.
Don't spend some bloated BIN price for any of this kit. Just keep your eyes open for them and collect one piece at a time if needed.

Also to consider. Alex has some nice black aluminum hoods of different sizes.
Surely to be cheaper and still work well for shading and protection from damage.