Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

R d1x on sale now!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: R d1x on sale now! Reply with quote

So much for the $2000 price tag earlier quoted.
The Japan price is just over 300,000yen.
Here is matsuistore listing. Pretty much the MSRP Rolling Eyes

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many nice slide film roll can you buy from this sum Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll sell precisely 12 of them at that price Shocked Confused

Good thing Epson makes lots of money with other products.

I LOVE the look of the battery gauge...just like a fuel gauge in the car Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today is the first day the camera is available.
Hopefully we will see some price reduction in time.
I must admit that it is my favorite camera so far (R D1 original).
The most film-like of digital cameras in my estimation.

One from R D1 and Hexanon dual FL at 35mm f4 from my trip.
Note that his skin tone looks a bit like ham. It's the sunburn Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot, Andy!

Well the new Epson RD 1x has got to be the most expensive 6 MP out
there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good ambientated portrait, Andy. I can almost feel the wind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6Mp isn't the problem really. I had the RD1S for several years, and it's a wonderful camera. Unfortunately, the RD1S rangefinder alignment was quite delicate, and unlike the RD1 it was hard to adjust. If I was buying again, I'd get the RD1 over the RD1S. Wonder what the situation is with the RD1x's rangefinder alignment.

Of course, I'm also wondering how the high ISO noise will be. The RD1S wasn't particularly low noise, but the noise itself was perfectly acceptable, almost film like.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintoid wrote:
6Mp isn't the problem really. I had the RD1S for several years, and it's a wonderful camera. Unfortunately, the RD1S rangefinder alignment was quite delicate, and unlike the RD1 it was hard to adjust.

Why? What was the difference?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don'T get that. I had the RD-1 (now with happy Andy) and the only differenxe to the RD1s was the label and the better software V2. Updated RD-1 and it was identical to RD-1s. So why that comment?

@Andy - great shot, love to see the wind in his hair, the unshaven face etc. - very manly shot, would work perfectly for Polo Ralph Lauren shirts!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RD1 rangefinder can be adjusted through the hotshoe. The same screw doesn't work on the RD1S, and the top has to be removed. It's different inside.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your comments. I have many such shots from my trip. We only had 2 port calls so, a lot of time on the boat.

That is interesting to know about the RF alignment adjustment.
Mine is now ready for a vertical alignment although, I will likely wait until it is unbearable (it's only a tiny nuisance at the moment).

I agree that 6MP is not the limitation of this camera. Of course it would be nice to print larger at times.
Mostly I use this cam for casual portraits and street type shots. A RF is fantastic for architecture. In this arena (or moonlight landscapes for me) I don't use it.
It's easy to prefer the larger sensor and lower noise of the eos for that type of work.
If that R d1x had an updated sensor. It would make an upgrade that would be very obvious to jump on.
All that said. I prefer the R d1 over even my 5D and Contax film bodies.

Here are two more. I don't know what others think. Personally I find this to be very film-like.
The last one is with the ZM Biogon. It is the perfect partner for the R d1. Take a look at the large version. It comes out of the screen. This is a 6MP cam in harsh mid-day light. Yes there is some post work on it as I already sent this one to the boys for their facebook pages.

Hexanon 35 @ f4 "waiting in Seattle to leave"

Hexanon 35 @ F8 "5 hrs later"

Biogon 35 a f8 "first fish of the day"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. Is that an M-Hexanon or a UC-Hexanon?

I think it's very film like, especially in BW. I found the biggest difference from the Canon (20D in my case) files is the handling of red. Perhaps that was my RAW converter though. I used to use Capture One with the RD1S exclusively, and the JFI profiles to get me TriX.

Perversely, I'm now thoroughly enjoying a Contax film camera Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wintoid.

M Hexanon Dual FL 21-35
link: http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-dual-fl-21-35-t15336.html

I use ACR and now, even more simply Aperture2.
Here is a 1600 B+W conversion. It gives me that look of Neopan with Tmax developer on VC paper. Smooth yet nicely textured.

Again Biogon 2/35 wide open here shutter 1/20th iso 1600.

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the conversion! It's managed to stay dark without looking murky. Very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed looks like film, like it a lot!

The fish shot really pops out in 3D!!