Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

guess who's new? this guy <<<<<<<
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: guess who's new? this guy <<<<<<< Reply with quote

I've been wanting to get some new lenses for my camera, but my wife being the penny pincher, wouldn't let me spring for a shiny new Oly 45mm f1.8 (on m4/3 if you couldn't tell yet) so, I stuck it to the man and went ahead and bought me a Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 and boy am I hooked! I am definitely new to photography as more than just point and shoot, but I am a quick learner and I feel like my creativity will aid in my pursuit of hobbitational (yeah made that up mix of hobby and professional... I digress) greatness. I look forward to learning from all of you sages in the black arts that is manual focus! Here is one of the first pictures I took with the lens, touched up slightly for white balance (if i could just figure out how to do that on the camera that would be GREAT!)

flower by greyson.johnston, on Flickr

Now, with my personality, I get passionate and really try to perfect my craft and then I begin to accumulate things (like all of the guitars that I have lying around not getting used) because I always feel the need for more. That being said, this 55mm is a bit difficult in normal around the house use because to get some shots I have to get into some weird spots. I would really love any reccomendations for a shorter lens to use with my E-pm1. M42 mount would be ideal since I already have an adapter but I would love to hear your opinions. Just remember, my wife didn't want me to spend $400 on the Oly glass and I do want to sleep on my own bed in the near future Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason it won't show the picture unless i put another up... weird.

P1011534 by greyson.johnston, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greysonj wrote:
for some reason it won't show the picture unless i put another up... weird.

It is an anti-spam thing. Images don't show until your second post. Welcome to the group. K.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Like Einstein said, "We act as if luxury and comfort were the chief requirements of life. When all we need to be happy is something to be enthusiastic about".

I think we are all here afraid of our wives, I still buy lenses in secret and "inject" them into the pile. Fortunately I have a big enough pile already that she doesn't notice if a few lenses add up over time Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
Welcome!

Like Einstein said, "We act as if luxury and comfort were the chief requirements of life. When all we need to be happy is something to be enthusiastic about".

I think we are all here afraid of our wives, I still buy lenses in secret and "inject" them into the pile. Fortunately I have a big enough pile already that she doesn't notice if a few lenses add up over time Smile.

If only I had a pile to "inject!" I look forward to learning more and subsequently acquiring new stuff, but my better half dreads it (she likes that I love it though!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
I still buy lenses in secret and "inject" them into the pile. Fortunately I have a big enough pile already that she doesn't notice if a few lenses add up over time Smile.

let's just hope she doesn't read this forum Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum Greyson!

that's two very good photos, congrats!
the 1.8/55 Takumar is a truly great lens! For a wider M42 lens check out Takumar f3.5/35mm and f3.5/28mm ( faster varieties cost quite more dearly )

abt, white ballance, shooting RAW equals white balance not yet set, and it can be set losslessly when editing
when shooting jpg, if what auto WB does is not satisfactory, on a mirrorless simply setting White balance manually until what you see is roughly what you want, should be good enough. for further information resp. help setting up WB manually, check out e.g. these ( rather random ) google results:
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/05/23/what-is-color-temperature-free-photography-cheat-sheet/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/after-the-fact-white-balance.html
http://digital-photography-school.com/introduction-to-white-balance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome - with two nice pictures, made with an attractive sharp lens!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum, nice flower, fun b&w pic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Very Happy

be prepared for addiction Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
welcome to the forum Greyson!

that's two very good photos, congrats!
the 1.8/55 Takumar is a truly great lens! For a wider M42 lens check out Takumar f3.5/35mm and f3.5/28mm ( faster varieties cost quite more dearly )

abt, white ballance, shooting RAW equals white balance not yet set, and it can be set losslessly when editing
when shooting jpg, if what auto WB does is not satisfactory, on a mirrorless simply setting White balance manually until what you see is roughly what you want, should be good enough. for further information resp. help setting up WB manually, check out e.g. these ( rather random ) google results:
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/05/23/what-is-color-temperature-free-photography-cheat-sheet/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/after-the-fact-white-balance.html
http://digital-photography-school.com/introduction-to-white-balance

Thanks for the info! I knew with shooting in RAW I would have a lot more flexibility with post processing, but I did not realize that the white balance was primarily for jpeg. That makes sense since Lightroom and Aperture can correct the white balance. I have been eyeing the 28mm taks but, I take photos in a lot of indoor/low light settings and I would be worried about getting acceptable photos with a maximum aperture of 3.5 (that is the max aperture of my kit lens and everything just turns to blur Sad.) I will probably end up getting one anyways for shooting around town Smile

And thanks everyone for the encouragement! I tried getting some photos of the dogs at the park today, but they move too fast for me to get a sharp photo. Don't they know I need them too hold still!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Very Happy , I'm owning a dog like yours, definitly a great source of fun, and good subject to practice manual focusing Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely look at the Super-Multi-Coated(S-M-C) 28/3.5 & 105/2.8 they're both great bang for the buck like the 55/1.8 is.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/
If you can swing the 85/1.9 it's awesome, the 50/1.4 is also nice.

50/1.4

85/1.9

I'm kinda biased, as you can see...
my S-T collection:
-28/3.5 early version
-28/3.5 S-M-C
-35/3.5
-50/1.4 early 8 element version
-50/1.4 S-M-C
-55/2
-55/1.8 early version
-55/1.8 S-M-C
-85/1.9
-105/2.8 S-M-C
-135/3.5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

I'm kinda biased, as you can see...
my S-T collection:
-28/3.5 early version
-28/3.5 S-M-C
-35/3.5
-50/1.4 early 8 element version
-50/1.4 S-M-C
-55/2
-55/1.8 early version
-55/1.8 S-M-C
-85/1.9
-105/2.8 S-M-C
-135/3.5

Do you have the duplicates for collection purposes or do you find that they all offer a unique character? I really want to get a super tak 50mm f1.4, but I don't know what version to look for. Also, since you have the 28mm, how do you find it performs in low light settings?